1) One that buffs, especially a piece of soft leather or cloth used to shine or polish.
2) A buffing wheel.
3) Something that lessens or absorbs the shock of an impact.
4) One that protects by intercepting or moderating adverse pressures or influences
5) Something that separates potentially antagonistic
entities, as an area between two rival powers that serves to lessen the danger of conflict.
6) A substance that minimizes change in the acidity of a solution when an acid or base is added to the solution.
7) A device or area used to store data
8) To act as a buffer for or between.
9) To treat (a solution) with a buffer.
10) To hold or collect (data
) in a buffer.
11) One who boost stats in RPG
“A sense of humor . . . may have served as a buffer against the . . . shocks of disappointment” (James Russell Lowell)