DNFD evolved from the commonly used DND
(do not disturb), generally found in the IM medium. The presence of F in the acronym indicates the user's thoughtful gesture of adding the initial of a highly elegant word, widely known as "fucking" or, even better, "fuckin'". It's usually used by male individuals. Some plausible explanations for the use of this expression would be:
1. The user has absolutely nothing to do, but if his ex-girlfriend whom "he's no longer interested in" sees he's online, she has to think he's really busy. She'll be desperate trying to find out what he's up to;
2. The user wants to look tough and agressive, image which would enable him to achieve two things:
- the guys will be jealous/scared shitless/humble when faced with his might;
- the chicks will fall flat on their backs in admiration;
3. The user is simply a high level sociopath;
4. Last but not least, the user doesn't seem to grasp the fact that if he didn't really want to be seen online by at least ONE person and was actually busy, he'd stay offline.
1. I'm reading Nietzsche, DNFD!
2. I'm caressing Jessica Alba's twin, DNFD!
3. I'm walking the dog/counting the fleas on my cat/bursting some bubbles, DNFD!