A commonplace word that occasions exclamations of "Ooh, SAT word!" when employed in normal discourse. Incidentally, those who use this moniker happen to not read enough books, not even pulp not conducive to formal education.
words, not 'SAT words.'
|2.||speaking of which|
'Speaking of which' can be used to refer to something that has just been said. Other similar phrases are: by the way, incidentally, apropos, with regard to...:
I won't be home when you get in from school tonight. Speaking of which, don't forget your keys.
1. A member of an ancient Germanic tribe.more...
2. (obs.) A member of the Gothic subculture; in the late 1970's, the media declared Bauhaus and Siouxsie and the Banshees to have a "gothic" sound, after Gothic literature. Gothic literature was, incidentally, named after Gothic architecture, which was named after the Gothic tribe, as an insult, to imply that it was barbaric.
The original goths from the late 70's had a sardonic sense of humour above all else. They often wore dark clothing, as goth was an offshoot of punk. In the early 80's, Second Wave Goth began with bands like the Sisters of Mercy. This is possibly when goth acquired the reputation of being more sullen. At some unknown date, Goth began degenerating. It was rather like cancer, wherein there was part of the subculture still functioning and alive, but more and more of it was becoming sick and dying. Though some bands with a gothic sound still exist, a new name for the genre is sorely in need of creation. Honestly, those few true goths left need to give up the ghost and come up with a new subculture for themselves.
3. A misnomer for a follower of bands such as Marilyn Manson, Tool, Korn, Slipnot, etc. Generally, bands like these were part of the reason why "goths" kept seeming whinier and whinier. Now not only are there bands trying to portray themselves as goth when goth is effectively dead, but now mass marketing has decided to reshape the subculture to cater to a very lucrative demographic: rebe...
1) Bastardized form of "LOL" which incidentally stemmed from an AOLer's short-hand version of "haha"
2) LOL KTHNX U R 2 COOL OUCWUTIC??/ U HAF AOL 2? I WANT 2 NO U IRL.
1) ROFFELOLZIE THAT WAS FANTASTICAL, FANATICAL!
2) <@versusraven> I sent the guest a link to Tubgirl, when I was like "LOLZIE ON YOU", h4h4h4.
"Block" is the measurement of the maximum ditance an American will consider walking before deciding that the Kyoto Agreement is a bag-O'-Shite anyway and instead use their fuel hungry, energy inefficient, can-only-drive-in-straight-lines, locally built in Mexico Car instead.more...
It is optional in some areas to Drive around the block (in many cases this is as close as they will get to going abroad) where shooting ranges are provided by the neighbours of those areas.
Sometimes it is assumed that because of the massive influence Amercian TV has on the popular culture of entertainment-starved foreign populaces (who incidentally come from countries with insufficient knowledge or skills in harnessing the mind numbing effects of crap TV, low brow humour, political correctness at all costs, and flagrantly biased journalism) everybody knows exactly what a block is, in the same way that an engineer might know what a Mole is, or a neurosurgeon might know what Brain is. This is obviously an incorrect assumption, and has led to many miscommunications in non-american-english sepaking nations.
"I want to block planning permission for the monstrosity at the end of this road" -> leads to construction of sixteen lane motorway with flyovers making physical contact with your grandmothers chimney pots when overloaded goods lorrys carrying dried milk powder for Jamaica pass overhead
"I have a mental block" -> Teams of psychiatrists, psycholanalysts, phrenologists, quacks, ambulance ch...
|6.||let's get retarded|
A popular slang reference to getting really messed up on alcohol or drugs in order to free the spirit and drop the inhibitions. Often refers to drink and cannabis, used in a party-setting with accompanying music. Incidentally, the Black Eyed Peas have popularized this term with their song, "Let's Get Retarded." see also, "get stupid."
"Dude, let's go over to Sally's house and get retarded."
"As soon as we get to the party, let's get retarded."
1. Random insignificant character who usually dies after their short fifteen minutes of obscurity
2. Green clay figure in a spiffy clay cartoon who stars with the ALMIGHTY SPIFFY BLOCKHEADS who will take over the world!!
1. There's lots of Gumbys in Gundam Wing, which incidentally has nothing to do with clay.
2. Don't step on Gumby.