groundless assumption of a higher status or affectation than actually contained.
Jane's high falutin airs didn't impress her co workers at the factory. They knew that her date took her to the local drive in for fast food.
1. Highly pompous, bombastic (speech).
2. Showing off, ostentatious, pretending to be above one's station in life, putting on airs.
1. Nan Tucket thinks that using high-falutin' words will convince people that she is a high-class lady.
2. Cindy Mae Lovett hasn't talked to any of her old friends since she started waitressing in that high-falutin' restaurant on Nob Hill.
More "country" than "urban." ... A true "hillbilly" pronunctiation would drop the "t" sound.
1. Putting on airs. 2.living beyond one's means. 3. Fancy stuff. 4. Showy.
1. Can you believe that highfalutin attorney acting like he's some kind of Perry Mason?
2. They're highfalutin now, but they'll be filing bankruptcy within six months.
3. I'm a simple guy. I don't need all that highfalutin stuff.
4. Sure, I can afford a Cadillac, but my old pick-up still runs fine. I'm not highfalutin.
bombastic. using big words to show intelligence but really just sounding like a chode...
The highfalutin prostitute kept saying she had a piece of canch on her taint.