Dave: Dude you're just as German as you are Italian
Pete: I'm proud to be Italian dude
Dave: Just because they won the world cup?
Pete: No, my pride goes way back
Dave: Do you speak Italian?
Dave: Shut the fuck up then... and your last name is Smith
Pete: You just don't understand my pride.
It's a nice country plagued by many problems - economical, social, cultural. Ruined by Berlusconi's trashy TV since the 80s and by submission to the Vatican powers and the Catholic taboos.
Many foreigners think they know a lot about Italy, but they just rely on old and hollow stereotypes. Italy is a complex reality: for example, you can't compare Milan to Rome or Naples. A person from Milan generally finds people from the South too intrusive, while the Southerns finds people from the North too cold. Their attitude to life is different. North is quite wealthy, South is poor.
Accents differ much. In the mountain region called Alto Adige German is also spoken.
Myths to be disproved:
- mafia and camorra are only in the South. For most of Italians, they exist only in the news. Italians are not violent
- Italians are not so generous, in fact they are individualistic people (which is a problem, since they don't care about the public thing and make their country go to ruin)
- you won't find in the restaurants spaghetti with meatballs, pizza with pineapple, "fettuccine Alfredo" or "olive garden", these are Italo-american specialties
- Italians do work: office hours are 9 to 6. Children go to school also on Saturday, making it possible to have longer summer holidays
- Berlusconi is a criminal, a liar and a pig and does NOT really represent the majority of Italians. Many are ashamed of him and his governement