1. A large retail chain that has swallowed up and crushed every other video game store on the planet, thanks to their cutthroat business tactics and biased marketing deals with game developers.
2. A pawn shop that specifically caters to ripping off unsuspecting children.
3. A place of supposed business hiring idiotic fanboys too stupid to realize that they won't make enough money to buy the games they love so much due to getting no hours on the schedule for lack of upselling magazine subscriptions like a drooling girl scout.
4. A special section reserved in the fourth layer of hell where your wallet and sanity aren't the only things raped.
5. A place where fangirls flex their knowledge in hopes of wooing unshowered, overweight nerds, only to reject their advances, because no one outside of Gamestop or the MMOs they play will give them a second look.
6. A business where the average transaction takes over 25 minutes to complete because the clerks hold your purchase hostage until they recite a novel's worth of asinine bullshit concerning pre-ordering of a title due to the district manager's bonus that's tied in.
7. A decaying, outdated, archaic business model that will choke as soon as the next generation of consoles that don't play used games launch.
8. A store where the district managers have never worked a retail gig, let alone played an actual video game, grind employee souls into the epoxy used to create the fee-ridden Comdata pay cards.
Clerk: Howdy, boss, welcome to Gamestop!
You: I'd like to purchase this game.
Clerk: That won't happen until you reserve nine games and buy this magazine which gives you $0.02 savings on every purchase.
You: No thanks, just the one game.
Clerk: Are you sure? My overlords are watching me right now, and they're going to sacrifice a human baby and drink its blood in the name of Mammon if I don't get 47 reserves and 23 subscriptions today...
You: I'm going to Wal Mart, Target, Frys, or Best Buy where they don't nickel and dime me for stupid shit, have whatever I want in stock whether I pre-order it or not, including special editions that you short-sell to doctor supply and demand, and I'm pissing on this broken demo Wii stand on my way out in hopes of giving the next child that tries to play it AIDS so he'll die before you get any more of his allowance.
The most evil corporation in the world. They buy back used videogames for less than a dollar and then procede to sell them back at ten times that cost.
Gamestop bought back my Pokemon Silver copy for a dollar and sold it for twenty bucks.
A store where you can't just go in, buy a game and leave without being harrassed about other stuff.more...
Customer: Hi, I'd just like to buy Gears of War 2.
GameStop Employee: Alright. Would you like to get the regular version, or the special limited edition with the cool artwork and the metal box and the holographic trading cards and the extra DVD included for $10 more?
Customer: The regular version is fine.
GameStop Employee: Would you like to get the used version for $54.99 instead of $59.99?
Customer: Well... no, not really.
GameStop Employee: Would you like to get the strategy guide for $19.99?
Customer: No thank you.
GameStop Employee: Do you have an Edge card?
GameStop Employee: Good, because you can sign up for an Edge card for $19.99. You can use the Edge card to get more store credit for your trade-ins. You can use it to get discounts when you buy used games. Plus it comes with Game Informer magazine, which is the best magazine ever.
Customer: No thanks, not right now.
GameStop Employee: We're also now taking pre-order reservations for Halo Wars, Street Fighter IV, Madden 2010, Resident Evil 5, and a bunch of other games that come out 2 years from now. For $5 down.
GameStop Employee: But it guarantees you a copy on the day the game is released.
Customer: I've bought plenty of games on the day it came out without reserving. Unless it's something like Halo, chances are the game will be available. Ca...
A videogame store where at least one under qualified female is hired per store as by law. Not for their knowledge of video games but their bra size and Hooters experience. Most games that they are aware of start with NBA or WWF and are hired in the masses by the lonely, lonely Store Managers. See EBgames or Dumb Blonde
"Any previous experience?"
"I used to work at Hooters"
"You start monday."
a place of business, often filled with nerds who discuss specific battles they've had with sephiroth, fat women who live in trailors and smack their kids for throwing a box of yu-gi-oh cards across the room, fat men who don't know what they want but want it RIGHT NOW, and employees who hate their lives.
I used to think video games were cool before i worked at Gamestop.
1. Sells a "discount card" that simply removes the tax from any purchase and adds a paltry amount to the already undervalued trade-ins.
2. Can't be bothered to produce mock display cases, so they open a new copy and use that.
3. Considers the potential rental(s) of said copies by employees, to not count toward considering the game "used" and proceeds to sell the above mentioned copies "as new".
4. Many employees are so casual they'll stand around talking and playing PSPs while customers wait.
5. Will buy a used game that sold for $59.99 last week, for $12.00 (credit) then, sell it for $55.00.
6. Apply a penalty of -20% for cash trade-ins.
7. Used game prices for new games are only five dollars less than new.
8. Do not take cases, books, maps, other pack-ins into consideration no matter how important, when considering price for used merchandise.
Why shop at Gamestop or EBgames when you can go to eBay or, any other other user-based exchange, and buy or sell games for sensible prices?
A video game store whose main objective is to piss you off as much as possible in the short amount of time you're in the store. You'd think for such a big name that Gamestop employees would be very helpful and nice. Well you thought wrong, my friend.
If you ever want to return a game, buy a game, reserve a game, or do anything related to video games make sure to go ANYWHERE but Gamestop. They just love to rip you off, persuade you to NOT buy what you want to buy because they don't like it, and just screw you over in general.
Idiot: "Hey man, I gotta trade in this game. Let's go to Gamestop!"
Me: "Fuck you."
A place where you go to get raped in the ass when all you wanted to do was buy a video game. If you attempt to buy anything, the employees will rip your heart out with their eyes when you decide to not purchase the extended warranty/strategy guide/used version of said item.
Bill bought a game from gamestop and was threatened verbally when he declined to purchase the strategy guide.