California is to the United States as Italy is to Europe.
Both have the following features:
- completely dysfunctional government
- too much debt
- declining economy
- endemic corruption
- beautiful landscapes and coastlines
- agriculture: olives, wine, citrus fruits, cheese, tomatoes
- natives feel it is important to look good
- natives drive like maniacs in heavy traffic but somehow avoid running into each other
- too many illegal immigrants
- rich people with mansions on a cliff overlooking the ocean
- earthquakes and volcanoes
- nice weather, hot in the summer, rain in the winter
- skiing in the mountains
- swarmed by tourists in the summer
- Western movies are filmed there
Video: good looking guy or gal with a tan, wearing sunglasses and a very nice shirt, talking on cell phone while driving, says "Ciao", hangs up, changes lanes abruptly. They drive through a run down suburb populated mostly by olive-skinned people with black hair. They drive towards the mountains. The sunlight is dazzling. The landscape is hilly and dry. The car is a BMW 3-series.
Observer A: that must be Italy
Observer B: no, the buildings are new. It is California.