Intellectuals are those who:
- Enjoy art and literature nobody else cares about, and think they are superior to everyone else because of it
- Believe education should serve some undefined "higher purpose" than preparing people for the real world
- Claim that language is a beautiful art form rather than a means of communication
- Love to argue that capitalism is evil despite having no understanding of basic economics
- Dream of living anywhere but where they actually do live; usually a far less affluent society
- Believe that our own society is degrading or becoming a cultural wasteland, because people would rather watch TV than go see a play written in the 1600's
- Are the most fiery supporters of evolution, yet dislike people who pursue their evolutionary desires
- Convince themselves to hate parties and sports to cover up their lack of social/athletic ability
- Can't stand the idea of leaving their tiny bubble that is academia
- Believe that anyone who enjoys sports must be a mindless jock with the IQ of a gorilla
- Love to advertise how much they "think for themselves," yet somehow always agree with each other on everything
Not to be confused with the word "intelligent"
The philosophy ph.D takes great pride in being an intellectual.
January 26, 2011