1. An act of clemency by an authority (as a government) by which pardon is granted, esp. to a group of individuals.
- Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law
2. A general overlooking or pardon of past offences, by the ruling authority.
- Oxford English Dictionary Online
3. Punishing people for entering the US illegally.
- One confused and babbling President.
"Ya know I uh... I've heard all the 'rhetoric', ya know, you've heard it too, 'bout how this (immigration reform bill) is 'amnesty'... Am - amnesty means that YOU GOTTA PAY, ya know, a price for having bin here illegally... And this bill does that."
- George W. Bush, Washington D.C., June 26, 2007.