1) The name of a great independent film from 1991
featuring such novelties as Madonna
's pap smear. Shot in Austin
, Texas, on a shoestring budget, it may be about the definitive movie on Slackers forever after.
Tends to be sort of affectionate slang in this context.
2) Synonym for a typical member of Generation X
(born 1964-1981 roughly). Anyone who smoked reefer, wore flannel or owned the Chronic
or any music by Sublime
, the Red Hot Chili Peppers
, Pearl Jam
, etc., in the first half of the 1990s
. Anyone who liked movies directed by Quentin Tarantino
Tends to be neutral slang, when used in this context.
3) Antonym of a politically aware member of the Baby Boom
generation (born 1946-1963 roughly). Someone who thought of the Beatles
being as historically relevant today as the Civil War
or the War of 1812
In this context is usually pejorative and insulting.
4) A description of a young man in the early 20th Century, who avoided military
duty. An amoral
, lazy coward
Also negative in this context
1) The movie Slacker was brilliant. I could not stop seeing people I grew up with portrayed in the characters. It's a great movie to smoke weed and watch, when you're bored and not in the mood to write your Master's Thesis.
2) Wow. Lots of Slackers at Lollapalooza this year again. I wish someone would shoot Ani DeFranco.
3) You fucking Slackers think that Reaganomics was cool. You probably never even heard of Kent State or the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Too bad you weren't old enough to have had to have been drafted and sent to Vietnam.
4) You yellow-bellied slackers will be court-martialed, when General Patton returns from the Battle of the Bulge.