A game involving a lot of stomping, movement, and bright lights that's very effective at drawing witnesses to your end of the arcade if you're someone who likes to show off (see also Marvel vs. Capcom 2
). Like a fighting game (or most arcade games for that matter), the best at the game are usually those who can react the fastest to what's happening on the screen. Most arcades have at least one DDR machine or DDR imitation, and it provides very good exercise for people who like to have a mini rave or forget that they're exercising. It's not a good game for people who can't shrug off ridicule.
Various subgroups dislike the game. For example, people who would publicly admit to playing WoW hate it because
1) Play often involves going out during the day... especially to a place like the mall with sunshine and real people
2) There are no levels, thus physical skill and effort must be employed instead of grinding
3) The music isn't quiet, repetitive, and in the background (Actual music at audible volume tends to melt their ears, especially something as assertive as techno or jrock)
4) Your dancing avatar, if present, cannot be a bull/furry or a half dressed elf chick.
5) It carries risk of weight loss (fat is central to their image)
6) Movement is evil unless it's how fast you can click/move your fingers.
7) There are no easy exploits
8) Cute chicks, who tend to like the game because of its uncompetitive nature and who don't care about whether you're horde or alliance, tend to be near or on the game
9) You can't gank your opponent in play... well, you could, but the WoW nerd would probably lose that fight.
Such people don't understand why people would subject themselves to things like a good time with IRL
friends so they decide people must like it because it's from Japan.
Others miss the point entirely and think it's about actually learning to or attempting to dance, and for that reason tend to do poorly in the game. Almost all people who are mid-tier or good at the game admit that they can't actually dance.
WoW nerd: Ha, I've grinded a hot level 70 tauren chick on my real game while you waste time on this excuse! Look, it doesn't even save your stats or wins!
Normal Person: Bitch go back to your room.
"Man, my half Asian friend kicked my butt in Dance Dance Revolution... at least I beat that emo in the corner... he went and cried about it."
"Those Mexicans making fun of me in Spanish are terribly distracting... I'm missing arrows..."