The first installment of the new Star Wars "prequel" trilogy. Not the worst Star Wars movie. Definitely not the best, but Attack of the Clones is BY FAR the worst movie.
Reasons The Phantom Menace is not the worst Star Wars movie:
- the podracing scene is pretty awesome
- free of Lucas' notoriously bad romance scenes
- the finale with multiple battles going on at once is spectacular, particularly the Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul lightsaber duel, which is the most intense lightsaber fight of all 6 movies
- it was responsible for getting a whole new generation into Star Wars -- speaking from experience, this movie got me into the original trilogy when I was a kid (of course I now like the original trilogy far more than this movie)
Reasons it still kind of sucks:
- Anakin and Padme's dialogue is horribly stilted, and the movie is really not very well-acted on the whole
- It doesn't really seem like anything important happens, other than scooping up Anakin from Tatooine
- Jar Jar Binks. enough said.