look up any word, like ratchet:

1 definition by Big Stevie

Refers to commentators' grids used for football (soccer) matches broadcasted on radio in the 1920's/1930's, where if a team was to start another attack from the defence, it would go back to "square one".
"Pass intercepted by the full back, so back to square one".
by Big Stevie March 23, 2006