Nintendo's new console previously known as "The Revolution." Nintendo has since decided the name "Revolution" has caught on a little too well, so they decided to throw a curve-ball. However, many gamers consider this to be a bad move by Nintendo, as it allows Microsoft and Sony to get a few RBI's (runs batted in), since everybody knows what an "Xbox" and a "Playstation" is, and nobody quite cares what "Wii" means.
The Wii strategy can be summed up here:
1) Underpowered in relation to the Xbox and Playstation game consoles, and only marginally faster than the GameCube. Nintendo hopes to rely on the same gimmicky "innovations" that made the DS every fanboy's wetdream.
2) The controller is based on the principles of the NES system's Zapper (light gun) technology, Nintendo hopes to market a whole new console full of the same rehashed shit they've always been feeding us. The "point and shoot" Zapper gun after all, was a huge success with duck hunt.
3) Nintendo has not had a good success rate with flooding their game systems with games, so once again they plan on having a service where you can buy and download old games from systems such as the NES, SNES, N64, and so on. This will help Nintendo trick gamers into thinking they're getting their money's worth. Afterall, it costs nothing to release a game for download, since you don't have to you know.. actually DEVELOP and PACKAGE the game.
4) Nintendo also picked the name "Wii" because they enjoy the pun associated with changing the word "We" in sentences, to "Wii". It makes them giggle. Examples below.
"Wii sounds like 'we,' which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."
"Wii will put people more in touch with their games..."
"Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else."
"Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii."
"Wii will Wii will Rock you."
"Have you heard about THE REVOLUTION?"
- "It's called the Wii now dude..."
"What the fuck is a Wii"
- "It's Nintendo's new console"
"Whatever happened to the Revolution?"
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll never spam you.