1. In engineering, the margin of error of a particular structure or process.
2. In medicine and pharmacology, the situation in which an individual requires larger and larger doses of a drug in order to get the same physical or mental effects.
3. In sociology and politics, the act of treating others as equals, despite the fact that those others do not share your beliefs or differ in how they live their lives.
1. The engineer had be careful in designing the oil refining process, because he had to work within very tight tolerances.
2. It is possible for a patient to build tolerance to antidepressants, painkillers, and other drugs, requiring a prescription for a larger dose.
3. Tolerance means that I must not resort to violence or slander against a person with whom I disagree. It does not mean that I have to support or agree with your beliefs, regardless of what the radical left has to say about it.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll never spam you.