1. something that is odd, different, strange or non-mainstream
2. a historical derogatory term against people who were homosexual (also see #9)
3. an identity in which Gay and Lesbian individuals have taken back so they could take the negativity away from the word and use it to say they were proud
4. an identity that has been taken back as a word to be more inclusive, incorporating all of the LGBTQIA community (the queer community)
5. an identity used to be vague or non-specific about a person's sexual orientation, identifying with the LGBT community as a whole. Also a description of people's non-heterosexual sexual orientations in a non-specific and unbiased manner
6. an identity used because the terms gay, lesbian, or bisexual are not sufficient for their inner feelings
7. an identity used because some individuals whose gender or sex is non-conforming may not have an easy way to culturally identify their sexual orientation.
8. an academic word used in the context of “queer theory” and “queer studies.” The term queer replaces the term homosexual or LGBT.
9. A contemporary derogatory term and insult used to describe someone in the LGBT community, usually by someone outside of the LGBT community, or used to describe any other person who you do not like based on their sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, general looks and/or behavior, or an insult to a non-LGBT person to control their behavior.
Good Ways to Use the Word "Queer"
1. That sculpture is really queer. I can't tell if it's suppose to be a person or a tree or what...it's just so weird!
3. "We're here! We're queer! Get used to it!
4. I'm going to the Pride Parade tomorrow. I can't wait to see my queer friends.
5. I'm not sure if that girl over there is bi are a lesbian, but she's definitely queer, so I'm gonna ask her out.
6. Person A: I don't really like to label my sexual orientation. Person B: Well, you're not straight, so you're definitely queer, no matter what your sexual orientation is!
7. I identify as queer because while I tend to like men, given the right female, I may go for it, and besides, I'm not about to be too discriminatory if someone is attracted to me, I'll give them a chance if they give me one.
8. In my class, Queer Media, we were talking about how queer people were portrayed on T.V. 20 years ago compared to now.
Bad Ways to Use the Word "Queer"
2. Forget about those queers, they're all going to hell anyways.
9a. I do not think queers should be allowed to get married!
9b. (A young boy looks scared while a bully confronts him at school) Bully: That kid is such a queer, he should go run home to his mommy! Boy: *thinks in head* I'm gonna be tough next time so they stop calling me queer and bullying me.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll never spam you.