1. an opening or initiating move toward negotiations, a new relationship, an agreement, etc.; a formal or informal proposal or offer: overtures of peace; a shy man who rarely made overtures of friendship.
2. Music. a. an orchestral composition forming the prelude or introduction to an opera, oratorio, etc.
b. an independent piece of similar character.
3. an introductory part, as of a poem; prelude; prologue.
4. (in Presbyterian churches) a. the action of an ecclesiastical court in submitting a question or proposal to presbyteries.
b. the proposal or question so submitted.
5. to submit as an overture or proposal: to overture conditions for a ceasefire.
6. to make an overture or proposal to: to overture one's adversary through a neutral party.
The overture shal be played for the queen
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from email@example.com. We'll never spam you.