1. A knee-length wrap skirt with vertical knife pleats on the sides and back made from a tartan woolen cloth and traditionally worn by men of the Scottish Highlands. (Traditional usage)
2. A skirt similar to the traditional Scottish kilt, and may have differing properties such as a solid color, non-tartan patterns, having pleats all around, or varying overall lengths. Generally associated with being worn by men and boys, but is sometimes worn by women and girls. (More common usage)
3. Any other type of skirt sold as a kilt, or a skirt worn by men. (Most liberal interpretation)
1. To tuck up or gather into pleats, as in making a kilt.
2. To wear or equip with a kilt.
A kilt is a man's skirt and traditionally a masculine garment. Despite this and because most types of skirts in western culture are worn by women, it causes great anxiety and insecurity amongst individuals of both genders including some men who wear kilts and some men who don't like kilts.
Some men who don't wear kilts can bequite hostile towards, and question the masculinity of, male kilt wearers. They credential their own manliness by trying to diminish the manhood of others. They may also feel threatened by the self-confidence of a man who wears a kilt, and jealousy because of the appeal it has with some women who themselves don't find it threatening. Though they are often very homophobic towards kilt wearers, they are ironically quite familiar with unusal and scatological sexual acts between men.
Some men who do wear kilts try diligently to convince themselves and others that a kilt isn't a skirt. Some kilted men feel injured and angered by others who refer to their kilts as skirts. Such a man may even suggest severe permanent injury to anyone who dares realize that a kilt is a skirt.
Both extreme reactions may be caused by insecurity in one's own masculinity.
About that time two young and lovely girls just happend by
And one says to the other with a twinkle in her eye
And there behold, for them to see, beneath his Scottish skirt
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth
Real men wear Kilts...lesser men can't handle it
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll never spam you.