Pronounced Joo-Dee-Izum (as opposed to joo-day-izum), Judaism is the first monotheistic religion still around today, and possibly of all time. Unlike many other religions, Judaism doesnt want you to follow The Torah exactly, and gives room for you to live your own life. There are many different forms of Judaism, but there are 4 very big ones:
The first type of jew is orthodox. These jews follow the book very strictly, such as keeping kosher, wearing kippas and lighting shabbat candles; although they still have room to wear normal clothes and appear as normal people.
Second type: Hasidic. Hasidic jews are like orthodox jews who also wear nice clothes, a hat, and have peyes (The Curly Sideburns) usually when a jew is stereotyped in a movie this is how they appear, two famous hasidic jews are The Hebrew Hammer (fictional), and Matisyahu (a Hasidic Jew who raps in the Jamaican style).
The third type is conservative: These jews follow many jewish rules, but do not always keep kosher and wear yarmulkes (another word for kippah). I used to be conservative, but my "temple" was snobby so we found a new one.
The last type is reform: Reform jews are still jews who practice their religion (or at least I do) but have adjusted to the modern world, such as wearing normal clothes, not ALWAYS keeping kosher, and not lighting sabbath candles. I am reform, and enjoy being so because its like having a comfortable recliner.
Despite common beliefs Jews arent really greedy, but we do loves us some bagels (with shmeer)!
1) I am Jewish, so i make good bagels.
2) Hi, I am an Orthodox Jew, so i have to go light my candles now.
3) Hello, I am a Hasidic Jew, I do not mix meat and dairy and I buy food with (U) on it, or if it says Kosher for Passover.
4) Hey, I am a Conservative Jew sometimes i buy stuff that says its kosher, but i enjoy a cheeseburger every once in a while.
5) Yo, I am a Reform Jew, I dont really check to see if things are kosher, because I just eat things that taste good, although sometimes i keep kosher cause i love my religion; I, too enjoy cheeseburgers every once in a while.
6)Im sorry this definition of Judaism took so long, I hope you enjoy the rest of your day, and if you arent Jewish, i hope you enjoy your religion too. :)
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from email@example.com. We'll never spam you.