A japanophile can be several things. Depending on the context of the word.
It comes from a combination of the English word Japan and the greek word for love. In other words "love of Japan".
A Japanophile is:
1) Someone who loves Japan so much they become a naturalized Japanese citizen like Arudo Debito.
2) Has and extensive interest in learning Japanese or has a strong interesting in doing so.
3) Has a strong interest in Japanese pop-culture such as comics, animated shows, dramas, game shows, music, movies, ect.
4) Has a strong interest in Japanese traditional culture such as mythology and folklore more so than other countries.
5) Some who takes a strong pro-Japanese opinion on things despite not being Japanese. This includes defending Yasukuni visits, Nanking Denial, agreement with Japanese draconian immigration law and agreement with Japanese Nationalists in general.
Japanophile: I plan on teaching English in Japan
Person1: zomg Japanophile!! bukkake bukkake! animu wapanese!
Prices shown in USD.
Log in with Facebook to save your favorite definitions
and share them with friends.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from email@example.com. We'll never spam you.