1. n. a root vegetable used as a spice. It has a bittersweet, aromatic flavour.
2. adj. anything flavoured with ginger.
3. n./adj. a yellowish-brown colour, tending to orange.
4. adj. a colloquial term used to describe people with red hair, who also tend to have pale skin tone and freckles.
5. adj. (pronounced with a hard initial 'g' and rhyming with singer) - as 4., but is used as a term of abuse. Sometimes spelt with an apostrophe after the second g to distinguish from the less offensive pronunciation.
6. (rare) adj. delicate.
1. Young ginger root has a milder flavour.
2. ginger biscuits, ginger beer, etc.
3. "The setting sun took on a gingerish hue."
4. "Daphne's hair was ginger, though she preferred to call it red."
5. "Oi! Ging'er! Too sunny for you?!" -- "Uh. Yes, actually."
6. "Fred crept gingerly towards Daphne."
Also: Compare red, 4. and 5. with black, negro and nigger.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from email@example.com. We'll never spam you.