Note that the first definition of this word, is pretty much extinct.
1. To be jolly, happy, spirited, good-hearted.
2. Homosexual (but more so in the male sense), as in being sexually attracted to someone of the same sex.
3. An adjective (increasing in use) to negatively describe something as crappy, disappointing, unfavorable, or undesireable.
Many gays (2nd definition) are struggling to earn full rights to this word, and don't take kindly to people using it in the way described by this definition. However, they have to get over it. It is not everyone's intention to use this word to negatively describe something, because they feel homosexuality is wrong. It's just becoming another definition of its own, and gays will just have to deal with that.
But to avoid this kind of conflict, it is recommended to spell it as ghey, a spelling of "gay" made up just for this sort of use of the word "gay".
1. "Don we now our gay apparel." lyrics from the Xmas song, "Jingle Bells"
2. Ellen DeGeneres is attracted to women exclusively, making her gay.
3-A. Gas just went up fifty cents a gallon over the weekend, that's so gay. (WRONG)
3-B: (same as above)...that's so ghey. (CORRECT)
(PS) Watch "that's so gay" by Chris Crocker on YouTube, and hear him bitch about it.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll never spam you.