also known as ma huang, is a popular dietary supplement in the United States and has been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicine. Ephedra is a compound ofnaturally occurring compounds that are found in plants. Manufacturers are required by law to declare the amount of ephedra in each serving. (25mg per serving, or 100mg per day)
2) substance now banned thanks to former Orioles pitcher Steve Bechler. Bechler, who will never be confused with fitness guru Jack Lalanne, died in 2003 of a heat stroke but was found to have ephedra in his system, along with a load of caffiene pills and pseudoephedrine. Because of his death and other 'claims', the gov is now in the process of banning ephedra in 3-2004. While some may argue in Bechler's family's side, some people casually miss these facts:
- although listed at 239 in the Orioles' media guide, when Bechler's ticker quit, he was 320 lbs(!!) (source CNNSi) at his autopsy.
- Bechler was not accustomed to the warm S Florida climate.
- he had a history of heart problems and a bad liver PRIOR to taking ephedra.
- he was on a liquid diet.
- it was revealed at the autopsy that Bechler was abusing ephedra. From the tox report, it was revealed that Bechler was taking at least 3 tablets per serving, possibly more.
1) I stocked up on some TwinLab energy fuel yesterday since the gov seems to want to take another part of my life away.
2)like anything in life, ephedra is effective when used in moderation. Steve Bechler seemed to think that moderation was 4 caplets per serving. Not that I would wish anything bad on those who abuse any type of substance, but because one individual (who was 80 lbs overweight, I might add) abuses a NATURAL SUPPLEMENT that has been around for 1000s of years, now we all have to suffer.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll never spam you.