it's how everyone on the planet spells the word "color" except us Yanks, thanks to the spelling reforms of Noah Webster.
1. I was watching TV in my hotel room late at night in Niagara Falls, Canada. I could get American and Canadian TV signals there because I was at the border. There was an ad for Clairol with some lovely chicks showcasing their hair. Next to a lovely babe with long red hair was the logo: it said "Clairol Colour Treatment". I was watching an ad on Canadian TV.
2. At Oakes Parks in the Niagara area I was having a nice discussion with a Canuck lady. She said that I must be an American because I said "out" as opposed to "ewt". I said that yes I'm a Yank and that I spell "colour" with 5 letters, not 6.
3. Cyndi Lauper had a hit in 1986 with "True Colors". In 1998 Phil Collins released his version of it, respelling it as "True Colours" beings that he is British.
3. "Any Colour You Like" is a synthesizer-heavy instrumental by Pink Floyd.
4. The TA for one of my college classes is a Canadian. He says that American spelling for words like "catalogue" becoming "catalog" and dropping the "u" in "colour" to make "color" is a sign of laziness. Hey, it eliminates excess baggage. It's called "simplifying". That's the American way, fella!
5. Eeeeeeeeeyeww! What's your favorite color baby? ... LIVING COLOUR.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll never spam you.