slang for Chinese Indonesian.
- Chindo can't speak chinese (especially those living in Java)
- Chindo are proud with their nationality, not their race.
- Born, raised, educated in Indonesia, but still being called 'chee-nah' on streets by the Natives for some reason.
- Not allowed to speak Chinese and obliged to change their chinese names into Indonesian during the power of Soeharto.
- Faced discrimination which led to the 1998 riot (many chindos were raped, killed, humiliated and many escaped to america, singapore, australia).
- Still facing some discriminations in some areas, but the two races get along well overall.
- Chindos in West Java have the same 'level' as the Natives, but not in East Java. They act as the bosses of the Natives.
- Not allowed to work for the government.
- Most Chindos are entrepreneurs.
- Famous chindos: Agnes Monica (actress and singer), Delon (runner-up of Indonesian Idol who sparked for the similar reason), soe hok gie (chinese Indonesian activist, who opposed the successive dictatorships of Presidents Sukarno and Suharto towards the chindos), most of the athletes in Indonesian are Chinese Indonesians (susi susanti, chris john, hendrawan, angelique widjaja)
- Common Chindos last names= oei, lin, liem, ong, tan, ho, wong, liau.
- no language barriers whatsoever (chindo in java speak javanese, chindo is bandung speak sundanese, chindo in jakarta speak jakarta slangs)
- chindo live in chindo neighbourhood, build their own private schools (almost every chindo goes to private school), rather go to malls where dominated by the chindo (for no apparent reason)
- chindo avoid concerts, celebrations where majority of natives is there.. just for safety reason. chindos are easy targets.
- characteristics: some chindo have darker skin than 'real' chinese people, maybe because of the weather or naturally?
- we chindos know the difference between chindos and 'real' chinese. we just DO. chindo knows everything and are so much influenced by the west and other asian countries (taiwan, korea, japan, Hong kong, india, singapore)
give indonesia a visit and we'll show you the real chindos!
WE ARE INDONESIANS, STOP CALLING US CHEE-NAH (chinese)!
names to differentiate between chinese indonesians and native indonesians:
1) pepsi=chindo, coke=native
2) cina (chee-nah)= chindo, hwa-nah= native
3) totok=chindo who speak chinese and still strong in the tradition
4) Satu A (in english, pronounced 'one a'). one-ah= hwa-nah.
5) Cokin = chindo (term used by the natives)
6)eeng-nee-ren= chinese word used by chindos to call the natives.
7) zhong-guo-ren= chinese word used by chindos to call themselves.
8) mereka (means: they)= used by chindos to refer to natives
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from email@example.com. We'll never spam you.