A wannabe Japanese person, or someone who is entirely obsessed with anything Japanese. Also known as a Weeaboo. For some reason, they've gotten the idea that Japan and the Japanese are vastly superior to any other culture, including their own. Wapanese have most of the following characteristics:
1. They parade around public places drinking Ramune and eating Pocky, telling everyone within earshot that it's Japanese and oh so good.
2. They buy only Japanese clothing through the internet, or they buy cosplay outfits off of ebay and wear them during events such as Halloween, or even worse, during any day of the year.
3. They claim to be "teaching themselves Japanese" but only know a few words and spell/pronounce them wrong.
4. They use online translators to translate their MySpace profiles to Japanese, so that none of their friends can read it and they can feel smart/superior. Should someone who actually understands Japanese try to read it, they wouldn't understand it either because it was done through a cheap ass translator.
5. They get offended and make excuses (I was tired, I have bad spelling, "whatever") when someone who actually understands Japanese corrects their bad grammar/spelling/pronunciation.
6. They only listen to Japanese music, and worship Japanese bands and singers as if they were gods. They also spend hours at a time watching videos of their favorite Japanese bands "being funny" on YouTube.
7. Their rooms are filled with Japanese things like stuffed animals, Samurai swords, anime, manga and games. Their bedroom walls are covered in pictures of Japanese bands or characters from manga and anime.
8. They name all of their pets after Japanese band members, anime and manga characters.
9. They are obsessed with and chase after Japanese boys and girls, but always fail to get with one.
10. They claim they want to move to and live in Japan, and act as if they are superior just for making that decision.
11. They ask everyone to call them by their Japanese name.
The Wapanese will swear off anything that isn't Japanese. For instance, if you offer them a headphone to listen to some of your music.
Wapanese Kid: "No, I only listen to Japanese bands."
The snottier they sound about it, the more Wapanese they are.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll never spam you.