1) any large, powerful monster or creature.
2) a giant whale in Greek (or is it Roman?) mythology.
3) a similar giant whale in Final Fantasy games.
4) title of a book by Thomas Hobbes, which gives an authoritarian argument that flaws in human nature make the state necessary.
5) a name for the state, especially an authoritarian and far-reaching state, derived from Hobbes's book.
The front cover of Hobbes's book shows a picture of a giant king, the state, made up of lots of little people.
The irony is that Hobbes is effectively advocating the creation of a "monster", which is what Leviathan initially was.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll never spam you.