A phrase used when someone is operating in a sheltered mindset of racial, sexual, national or other exceptionalism. This phrase is typically employed when someone is speaking in an arrogant or ignorant manner, or being smug or condescending as a result of privileged status that they were born into, or achieved by virtue of their race, class, or caste.
Things one would respond to with "Check your privilege":
1. If the ghetto is so bad, why don't they just move out?
2. Is racism really even an issue anymore?
3. If they're so poor, they should just get a better job.
4. Well of course they're losing their house, it was a poor investment. Serves them right.
5. My parents worked hard so I don't need a handout.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from email@example.com. We'll never spam you.