I hate to play the Devil's advocate here, but it seems that Jordan with the #1 definition is really stretching things..
1. Smarties are from England and simply have a production plant in Canada (as well as Germany and several other countries)
4. The original "Rules of Baseball" was written by Alexander Cartwright, a New Yorker, and the origins of pre-baseball games are said to be from England. I think you mean that "Baseball is played in Canada."
5. Sort-of, but I'll give you this one too. Lacrosse was an iriqois game first witnessed by westerners by a Frenchman back when we were both part of the British empire.
7. I guess... James Naismith was indeed Canadian, but this all happened in Massachusetts.
8. Apple pie has been eaten since before the New World was even discovered, recipies date back to the 1300s...
10. Given, though Dunkin' Donuts is garbade. TH coffee is garbage too, but the food is much better IMO
11. The war of 1812 was before Canada WAS Canada, it was the UK vs the US, period. The US DECLARED war (but certainly did not start it) because of the UK FORCING americans to serve in their royal navy. It was more or less a second war for independence and ended with a treaty.
12. You guys better keep appeasing all of Quebec's demands so they will stop threatening to leave your union.
13. Canada has never played anything more than a supporting role in any war, ever. There is no reason to surrender when you've never fought an actual war on your own.
14. Your civil war is coming in the near future if your rediculous appeasing, ass-kissing politicians fail to keep Quebec from seceding.
16. Plaid was only cool in Seattle, lol.
17. The HBC was a British company when that was true.
18. Given, lol.
20. Not really anything worth bragging about, did this just happen in Canada?
21. Snowmobiles were indeed invented by a canadian, jet-skis were invented by an Arizonan, Velcro was invented in Switzerland, Insulin is found natuarally in the human body, but was discovered by a German, and was first USED AS A MEDICINE in Canada. Penecillin was discovered by a Scottish scientist, Zambonis were invented by an American, in America..... Oh and Alexander Graham Bell was Scottish too. Are you just naming random things and saying they're Canadian? This is really rediculous, lol!
23. Superman was invented by an American AND a Canadian in America.
It seems from this that one could just make random claims in Canada and people would just completely take it for fact, without any bit of skepticism, lol. Do you guys usually confuse yourselves with Great Britain? :)
That being out of the way, I love Canada! I love Canadians! I haven't met many Canadian assholes at all. From my point of view, Canada and the US (Canadians and Americans) are much more similar places than some people on either sides of the border seem to believe. Other than these few discrepencies that I have pointed out, Canadians are by no means short on reasons to be proud to be Canadian. It is a great and underrated country that tends to fly a bit under the international radar. Low key, understated. Progressive and humanitarian, and a better neighbor than Mexico :)
I think I'll go for a weekend in Canada.
Prices shown in USD.
Type your email address below to get our free Urban Word of the Day every morning!
Emails are sent from email@example.com. We'll never spam you.