This line is probably going down in history as the most famous
and memorable quote from the new Batman movie 'The Dark Knight'.
Spoken by the late Heath Ledger as The Joker.
The tagline was also used in the production company's marketing campaign for the movie.
In every day use it can be used to tell someone to lighten up.
The Joker: 'Why so serious? Let's put a smile on that face!'
Originally a Batman
marketing campaign, "why so serious" can be used as a response to someone taking themselves or a particular topic too personally or seriously.
-"Crunchy peanut butter is the ONLY way to go and anyone who eats creamy is a loser."
-"why so serious"
A quote from the Joker in The Dark Knight, turned in to an internet fad/meme. Usually used on angry, emotional people who tend to go overboard or not understand jokes.
Man: God wtf!!! I hate the world, I want it to burn!
TDK fan: Why so serious?
Troll Topic Creator: Guess what!? I like watching gay men and humping my couch!
Foolish Poster: Wow wtf!? You are fucking messed up man, get some therapy.
Troll Topic Creator: lol, why so serious!?
The phrase the villain "The Joker" played by Heath Ledger uses in the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight" when he asks his victims why they are always so serious and not smiling.
The Joker holds a knife up to Rachel Dawes mouth and tells her the story of how he got his scars. He says that one night when his parents were fighting as a young child and he was watching from the corner, his dad asked him "Why so serious?" and used a knife to cut into his cheeks so it looked like he was always smiling.
1. Let's put a smile on that face!
2. A response to someone acting serious and/or angry.
1. "Do you wanna know how I got these scars? My father was a drinker, and a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it; he turns to me, and he says, 'Why so serious?' He comes at me with the knife, 'Why so serious?' He sticks the blade in my mouth. 'Let's put a smile on that face!' And...Why so serious?"
2. Person 1: "Halo is the best game ever, and everything else sucks! No other game is as good as Halo!"
You: "Why so serious?"
Person 2: "You never do anything right, why do I always have to do things with you!?"
You: "Why so serious?"
A famous quote by the Joker from The Dark Knight, the Batman movie starring Christian Bale and the deceased Heath Ledger.
Joker: Why so serious? Hey, would you like to hear how I got these scars?
1. Originally a famous phrase from The Dark Knight
, said by The Joker
during his scene where he is telling the story of why he has the scars across his mouth.
2. Anyone who owns an Xbox 360
knows about this. Many Xbox 360 users put "Why so serious" as their motto to try to be badass
or something, when it just shows how unoriginal and generic these people are. I bet 99.9% of people on Xbox Live
have seen at least one of these people, whether it be on the recent players list, your friends list, or it may be you. If it is you, please either come up with a creative and original motto, or don't have a motto at all. Don't follow this pointless trend.
1. "Wanna know how I got these scars? My father, was a drinker...and a fiend. And one night, he goes off craaaazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen to defend herself. He doesnt like that. Not...one...bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me, and he says, "Why so serious?". Comes at me with the knife, "Why so serious?!". Sticks the blade in my mouth, "Let's put a smile on that face." Aaaand, why so serious?"
2. Me, scrolling through my friends list: Let's see how many of my friends have "Why so serious" as their motto... 6 people on my friends list!