1. A blood-sucking ghost; a soul of a dead person superstitiously believed to come from the grave and wander about by night sucking the blood of persons asleep, thus causing their death. This superstition is now prevalent in parts of Eastern Europe, and was especially current in Hungary about the year 1730.
2. Fig.: One who lives by preying on others; an extortioner; a bloodsucker.
3. (Zoöl.) Either one of two or more species of South American blood-sucking bats belonging to the genera Desmodus and Diphylla. These bats are destitute of molar teeth, but have strong, sharp cutting incisors with which they make punctured wounds from which they suck the blood of horses, cattle, and other animals, as well as man, chiefly during sleep. They have a caecal appendage to the stomach, in which the blood with which they gorge themselves is stored.
4. (Zoöl.) Any one of several species of harmless tropical American bats of the genus Vampyrus, especially V. spectrum. These bats feed upon insects and fruit, but were formerly erroneously supposed to suck the blood of man and animals. Called also false vampire. Vampire bat (Zoöl.), a vampire, Vampyrus spectrum
1. "A vampire is a mythical creature, meant to scare and entertain the public."
2. "America continues it's growing interest with vampires, the creatures of the night."
Something that does not sparkle.
Dracula is a vampire, but Edward Cullen is a fairy.
a great subculture and ledgend on the verge on ruin due to the popular mainstream phenomon known as 'Twilight'
Real Vampires do NOT sparkle
1: One whom drinks the blood of others, be it animal or human. Not to be confused with cannibalism or sarcophagy as no tissue is consumed.
2: Term describing Vlad Tapish, or Vlad the Impaler (1431-1476) and Erzebet (Elizabeth) Bathory (1560 -1614), the Bloody Countess of Csejthe: both notable historicaly for the consumption of blood. Dracula
is a name based off the Order of the Dragon, or Order of Dracul, which Bram Stoker used as his vampiric character based loosely on Vlad the Impaler.
1: Jill tore the end of the medical bloodbag and poured some of its contents into a crystal glass. Thus, vampire.
2: The Bloody Countess slaughtered over six hundred virgins, practiced vampirism and bathed in the blood of her victims. Once captured, she was confined to a single room in the tallest tower of her castle and was held prisoner by the Hungarian court untill her death at age 54.
3: Dracula owns.
1. In literature, media, and folklore, a "traditional" vampire is a demon who consumes blood of humans or animals for nourishment. Sometimes a human who has been bit by a vampire will transform into a vampire themselves. Vampires have a fear of anything holy, garlic, and the sun. Vampires have a child-like mentality, as they are unable to enter places or do certain things without permission, as was first addressed in Bram Stoker's "Dracula." Most commonly killed by a stake through the heart.
2. Any species of bat that consumes blood. Three types of vampire bats are the Common Vampire Bat (Desmodus rotundus), the Hairy Legged VB (Diphylla ecaudata), and the White-Winged VB (Diaemus youngi). They rarely attack humans and mostly consume blood from livestock or birds.
3. Any member of the goth
subculture who thinks that listening to Norwegian death metal, dressing in long black clothing, and being a fan of vampire movies and/or blood will make them a full-fledged vampire. Refuse to believe that vampires are just the work of folklore. Can usually be seen outside Hot Topic, alone, as nobody will be their friend because they "don't want to associate with the living."
1. Bram Stoker's "Dracula" is considered the premiere text of vampire folklore.
2. Vampire bats are common in tropical climates, barns, and zoos.
3. This was an actual example from someone I met at the mall who was claiming to be a vampire. They became my "source," so to speak.
a real vampire does not/is not:
falls in love with his meal(that being bella swan)
goes to school
sleeps in a bed
make teeny bopper pussys wet
a model for gayass hot topic
A REAL VAMPIRE DOES/IS:
the lord of darkness
fears the cross
sleeps in a coffin
does not feal love
only 1 thing on its mind,it being blood
turns into a bat
has a fancy wardrobe(refer to the old dracula movies)
todays modern vapire is gay in my opinion they can love the prey**cough**twilight**cough**.be out in the day light,listen to ipods,sleep in beds,are homosexual,drivecars,can no longer turn into bats(OMGWTF),are daywalkers,wear urban clothing(this goes to all u fags u clam they're vapires),have sex with humans
thank you so much stephenie meyer,you piece of shit for ruining bram stroker's legacy count dracula aka vampire with your fucking crap shit twilight
Mythical creatures which were once considered genuinely scary, but are now the laughing stock of the monster world thanks to Stephenie Meyer
and her extreme pile of fail
', otherwise known as 'Necrophilia for Tweens'.
'Hey, have you seen the film Twilight? Those vampires are soooooo scary!!'
"Don't be stupid, those aren't real vampires! Vampires don't sparkle and they're supposed to be scarier than that!"
'... Edward's gonna marry me!'
1. A sanguivore is the kind of vampire with the need for blood. These guys are the real kind, but are mortal, have a reflextion, and are only SENSITIVE to light. They can go out in the sun and eat garlic and touch roses so get that fairytale crap out of your head. They need blood, though. They don't neccesarily LOOK like a vamp or have the folklore vampire lifestyle. AKA a sang vamp.
2. A psy vamp feeds off of energy rather than blood. Sometimes a sang vamp is short on food and resorts to psy techniques. AKA an energy vampire.
3. A vampyre looks like one a vamire, but doesn't neccesairly need blood. A vampyre is "into" the whole vamp thing and can be considered to have a vampire fetish, but doesn't need blood and might not even be into that area.
4. Awakening is when a true vamp goes through a "puberty" of sorts and realizes what they are.
5. Turning is when a normal person becomes a vamp through a scarcely known techinque.
6. Blood Fetishists don't need blood and AREN'T vampires, they just LIKE it, whether it be sexual or just for kicks and giggles.
Vampires aren't modern-day Draculas, they are much more complicated.