music that is not heard on mainstream radio stations.
New:Yo have you heard that new Texas Hustle Click cd?
Seoc:Naa man, whats that?
New:that new underground music.
Seoc:is it on the radio?
New:No it's not, its UNDERGROUND MUSIC not Mainstream!!
Here are a few bullet points:more...
* Music isn't found on MTV or the radio (unless it's a local or amateur station)
* Does not have concerts taking place in Stadiums or huge Arenas where you pay 50-80 dollars to get in.The city government do not close roads and check your bags like at a U2 concert.You don't need a pair of binocuolars.
* Will not be found in small(ish) chain record stores.You might find some in larger places in HMV if it has some signifigance but Tower Records is ussually better for that kind of stuff.
* Music in which singles are not released on widely available Compact Discs featuring 'Radio Edits','Album Versions','Remixes' or 'Music Videos.Instead are released on 7 inch Vinyl Records(7").
What mainstream listeners don't know is that in fact Vinyl Records are NOT something that people stopped listening to in the early 1980s and that throughout the 90s,Vinyl was the norm for most bands,ignoring shoddy cheap CDs and today in the age of itunes it is still being used.
* Music in which when the artists tour,they not get by in Fancy tour buses but in vans - ussually where the band will struggle to pay gas.Accomodation ussually consists of the band sleeping on somebodys floor and not in a 4-Star Hotel.
* Music which does not appear on the cover of next months Kerrang!,Total Guitar or Rolling Stone with an 'exclusive interview'.
Because we'd rather read self-published Fanzines used with a photocopier.
* Music in which Concerts are not advertised taking...
A term used by pretentious musical elitists to deflect criticisms and to feel superior. Underground Music is simply music that has not yet gained widespread fame and notoriety. Listening to Underground music does not make you elite; it only means you discovered it through channels other than popular mass media.
Many fans of artists like to maintain the label of "Underground" even though the band or artist has gained success and notability. One example is Minneapolis Hip-Hop duo Atmosphere's maintained underground reputation, despite their having had sold millions of albums and being recognizable nationwide.
Underground music is essentially the opposite of mainstream music.
Ex 1) Musical Elitist: How can you listen to Eminem? He was only good when he was underground.
Ex 2) A real Underground Musician is Apex Predator, because he is local to Long Beach, and is not commercially successful or widely known.