one who surfs. often found in australia, california, hawaii, new zealand, and many other shore-lying regions.
a surfer IS NOT any other person who wears billabong, volcom, roxy etc. and says "dude", "bro", "surfs up", etc. thats just what the media makes us out to be. surfers are also stereotyped as being male, that is very not true. some of the greatest surfers out there are female such as Keala Kennelly, Layne Beachley, Rochelle Ballard, Lisa Anderson, etc.
possibly the most serene, logical, loving, peaceful people out there. and im proud to be one of them.
surfer: "k meet me at the pier at 4a.m. for a sesh tomorrow morning bring a longsuit itll be about 42 degrees. 12 foot waves, no prob. oh and after we'll go to the jack johnson concert and get some mexican food. is san o ok? i know a spot where its pretty secluded, kindy rocky so bring your booties. Maybe meverick's would be better what do you think? how many boards do you have? i have a good sized quiver, like 4, gettin a new one in october once i get enough money to buy one. oh do you mind getting some stickybumps down the street? what kinds of boards do you have? im taking my ezera out tomorrow havent ridden her in a while. uhh you okay you look confused"
fakeperson: (has no idea what the surfer just said) "uhh ya im cool, bro. uhh ya i dont think i can make it i have uhh a doctors appointment"
surfer: "at 4 a.m.?"
fakeperson: (dsfjhsdkjfhskdjfnhkjsdhfkjsdfkjhsdf IM STUPID)
Beware of the many impersonators of this rare organism. There are at least 10 impersonating posers for every 1 authentic surfer.
A surfer IS:
- someone who surfs SOLELY because it is fun
- someone that doesn't care about their social image, if surfing affects it for better or for worse.
- someone who is honest about their ability.
- someone that always has plenty of aloha
- doesn't hang out with the other "surfers" - the other "surfers" are posers.
- anyone that can stand up on a board while riding a wave- even if it is just whitewash. it still is riding a wave.
A surfer is NOT:
- someone who always brags about how good they are, or always talks about it.
- someone who always wears the newest clothes from Quiksilver, Billabong, Volcom, etc..
- someone who calls beginner surfers "kooks".. or just uses the word kook.
- a stoner.
- a punk
- someone who always has "something to do" when you ask them to go surfing.
Me: Those surfer posers at that "cool kid" hang out look pathetic.
Friend: Yeah, all the true surfers don't hang there. They just be themselves and hang out with their true friends; like you.
Me: All the good and true surfers don't hang out there. Those surfers are posers; ones that surf or pretend to surf just to be "cool". They're losers.
Friend: OH.. never knew that.