the art, and sport that involves making someone else (the spinnie) to be caused to turn around and look for who may have called them.
widely practiced in depots formally known as ABRO across the UK but mainly in Telford, Shropshire UK.
the highest most respected spin known to man is a 360 spin. meaning that the person has literally looked all the way around for someone who may have called them.
it is mearly a bit of fun that passes the day with amusement.
if you're not spinning, your not working hard enough!!!
classic examples of spinning;
"is this yours!"
"excuse me! is...!"
or anything else that may get the attention of the person you are trying to spin.
other name related spins are applicable. i.e.
"mark!!!" (as mark turns around, turn to your buddy on the opposite side and start having a conversation) "...my words it is going to rain tonight!"
Deejaying or playing records
"i was spinning some hiphop at the party last night"
New form of group exercise in which a dozen or more people (usually women) sit on indoor stationary bikes together and pedal to the sound of music and the directions of an instructor.
Girl 1: Wanna come to the gym with me and take a spinning class?
Boy 1: Um, I think I'll just go outside and ride my bike, but thanks anyway.
Girl 2: Wanna come to the gym with me and take a spinning class?
Boy 2: Hmm, am I in the mood do some real exercise and lift weights or stare at 20 spandex
ed girl butts for an hour? Hard decision.....
To be transfixed on a relatively insignificant thought or event and unhealthily or unnecessarily dwelling on it attaching a more elaborate meaning and emotion to it.
often seems trivial to others but to the person who is "spinning" it becomes connected to their personal prevailing emotions, past experiences, and/or unresolved trauma/pathology.
May include but not exclusive to:
1. imagining/playing out elaborate future scenarios, radical actions, and/or conversations;
2. questioning any past or present experiences, activities, and/or relationships;
Like how a textile worker can get a seemingly small piece or bundle of fiber and "spin" it into a long thread by combining it with others.
Or how a spider can "spin" an elaborate web by connecting many threads together.
1. After hearing that someone you know insulted your character, you make an elaborate plan to confront them and you think of all the things you've done that contests what they said. In addition you question your own relationship and past experiences with that person and build them up to be an antagonist. Only to have them immediately apologize and quickly explain that it was a misunderstanding.
2. Like in the movie "He's Just Not That Into You", questioning the fairly straightforward actions of others and excusing or making them out to mean something else by constructing elaborate scenarios
3. Girl: "We hang out almost everyday but he hasn't asked me to be his girlfriend."
Friend: "Didn't he say he wasn't interested and just wanted to be friends?"
Girl: "Yeah, but I think it was just because he had a bad experience with his last girlfriend and that he didn't get to know me yet."
Friend: "He's not interested though."
Girl: "But we spend so much time together, what if he does want to have a relationship but he just doesn't know how to ask?"
Friend: "You're spinning. If he says he isn't interested then he isn't interested."
A Load of Women cycling bikes indoors to the sound of cheesy music!
Conor Mac: hey man do u wanna go spinning?
Jay: isnt that for women?
Conor: too rite boi! Sure us pansys will fit rite in! Get Olan involved as well!
doing your laundry at the laundromat SpinCycle; having a good time
Pete: Dude, what are we doing tonight?
Steve: I am spinning.
Pete: Like a record?
Steve: Nah man, SpinCycle. Laundry, ever heard of it? Place is mint!
Pete: Can I come?