"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more than where you're born - it's an idea, a state of mind that seems imparted at birth. It's more than loving fried chicken, high school football, and country music. It's being hospitable, being devoted to porches & sweet tea, and each other. We don't become Southern - we're born that way."
im southern and i love it.
An adjective used to describe something that is awesome, sweet, cool, amazing, etc.
X: "How was your night, man?"
Y: "It was really good. I went and saw Avatar with my girl."
X: "Nice, how was it?"
Y: "The plot kinda stunk, but the effects were really southern."
X: "I respect that."
Anything pertaining to the American South. (Includes things such as fried chicken, sweet tea, and anything with a confederate flag.)
A person who is described as southern is usually polite, courteous, respectful, moral, opinionated, determined, confident, witty, and likes to laugh and have a good time. They are usually born and raised in the American South.
Southern people are some of the nicest in the world.
1. Usually used to describe, in a geographical sense, where a person is originally from.
The exact definition of Southern is up for debate.
Someone from the very north of England is likely to consider anyone who lives south of Yorkshire to be 'a southerner'.
2. The term can also be used to insult and stereotype a person who is from the south. Other common insults include southern fairy, soft southerner, southern pansy and posh southerner. These insults essentially mean the same as one another. The term 'southern' is particularly useful in insulting people who are 'soft', posh, unable to drink alcohol without falling over/vomiting and who need to wear a coat when the weather is a bit nippy.
'Southern' is commonly used as an adjective to describe the attributes held by someone from the south. The term is usually directed by someone from the north to someone from the south.
1. He is Southern as he was born in London/ Essex/ Manchester.
2. When a person from the south is shivering and people from the north are wearing t- shirts the northern people may use the phrase 'you are so southern'.
Similarly, if a southern person drinks too much (this is likely to be early in the evening when they are drinking with people from the north) and does something silly/ embarrassing the northern people may attribute the southern persons drunken state entirely to being 'southern'.
An adjective which describes things as (1)extremely inebriated, (2)most excellent, or (3)simply American.
Alternate use: Southern Man
1. "Dave drank so much he actually vomited his own intestines inside out."
"Yeah, that foo' was southern last night."
2. "Dave drank so much he actually vomited his own intestines inside out."
3. "Johnny Cash is a Southern Man - don't fuck around."