I don't actually know of any scene kids that talk like 'yEw aRe lyKE s0 hAwt <3XXX' as some examples have shown. From my experience of knowing/seeing scene kids (London is overpopulated with them), here are some basic How To Be A Scene Kid guidelines that you must follow in order to be defined as 'Scene':
1. Wear black drainpipe jeans (guys or girls) the lower slung the better
2. Ensure they show off your hipbones and the waistband of your boxers/girlboxers
3. Team your drainpipes with cutesey 'Punkrose' shoes or ballet shoes/converse/pink and black chequered vans (for girls) and Nike Dunks/chequered Vans slip ons/converse (for guys)
4. Wear youth/medium band t shirts (guys and girls) remember, the tighter the better!
5. Alternatively, girls may choose to wear short denim skirts over cut off black leggins with ballet shoes/converse
6. Ladies, team your kiddie tee with a long string of white pearls
7. Guys may choose to wear a bandana (or two?) either around their neck (or covering their mouth for a myspace picture) or alternatively tied around their wrist
8. In the colder weather, scene kids may choose to wear a youth/medium black band hoodie with their outfit, again the smaller the better!
9. These seem to be the most popular choices of clothing for London Scene kids, however naturally there will be variations.
10. BOYS - it's all about the fringe that covers one eye. Scene hair tends to be black (often dyed) or dark brown with blonde bits or red bits or whatever coloured bits are scene at the time. So yes, the front tends to be nice and long and side swept and straightened and the back tends to be spiked up a little bit. Many scene boys opt for the 'messy' look aided with lots and lots of hair products. Some scene boys like to cut their hair themselves to give it that extra choppy look.
GIRLS - Girls tend to opt for the mullet look; extra short choppy layers at the top with long messy hair extensions down to their waist or whatever length they desire (although some scene girls are clever and grow the long bits themselves..well done!) Girls hair tends to be dark brown/black with sections bleached blonde. Like scene guys, scene girls like the messy 'fresh out of bed' look, again aided by mass amounts of hairspray and products.
A popular hair accessory for a scene girl is a bow or headband, which are mostly purchased from Claires Accessories (I have seen a certain pink bow in Claires on about fifty different scene girls..or maybe they were the same girl? Hard to tell..:P)
11. yes, owning a Myspace account is ESSENTIAL. the layout of the myspace profile is up to the user, but most incorporate mass amounts of HTML
12. Stuck on what to write? Most scene kid myspace profiles involve the lines "my friends are better than yours" "i have the best friends in the world" "i smoke and drink too much" "i love to go to shows" "i want to leave this town" "kthnx" among other things
13. Stuck for a myspace name? Scene kids often use their own names written in capital letters, teamed with spaces and exclamation marks "H O L L Y !" and more often than not these names will be 'trademarked' or 'copyrighted' because of course they are incredibly original and must not be copied.
14. Scene kids always post pictures of their amazing friends on their profile, just to support their claim that their friends are better than ours.
THE MYSPACE PHOTOS!
15. Okay you are not a certified scene kid until you have myspace photos. Myspace photos are more often than not photoshopped to death and highly contrasted/very bright to hide the many flaws scene kids have (beneath their many layers of foundation and eye makeup, obviously) Most myspace photos are taken from above (holding the camera above you aimed down at you so you have a birdseye view of your messy hair, youth/medium tee, hipbones jutting out of the top of your tight jeans, and whatever shoes you happen to be wearing for the photograph)
16. Scene girls should always pout for photographs
17. Scene boys should snarl or growl for photographs
18. Hardcore scene girls should snarl or growl for photographs
19. Partially hide your face with your mass amount of hair
20. Some scene kids like to do 'cool' things like photograph themselves snorting cocaine. Whatever floats their boat.
21. Don't forget to add that Oh so Scene caption! "no photoshop, kthnx!"
22. This section is not just for scene girls!
23. Scene boys and girls like to apply mass amounts of eyeliner..it is essential. Scene kids do not leave the house without it, and when applied you must ensure you apply as much of the stuff as your eyelids can support. Ditto with eyeshadow.
24. Scene girls like to cover their faces with foundation (for the oh so cool -not- "deadgirl" scene girl look, opt for a white foundation) and some scene girls finish their look with a sweep of blusher to compliment the 6 inches of pink eyeshadow weighing down their eyelids. How pretty!
25. Some Scene kids, usually of the "dead variety" like to apply concealer to their lips. Dead attractive.
26. This varies. Scene kids like to say they listen to hardcore, but nobody bats an eyelid when their profile song is 'Son of Dork - Ticket Outta Loserville'
27. Most Scene girls love McFLY and go to their shows (this is understandable, McFLY are hot)
28. Most Scene girls love Dougie from McFLY more than you do.
29. Scene Kids go to shows-a-plenty because they are hardcore gig goers by nature. Whether they go to watch the band or to flaunt their sceneness and scope fit scene kids with fringes is an entirely different matter altogether..
WHERE TO FIND A SCENE KID
30. Soho Square
31. H&M (they love it and buy all their clothes from there)
34. Shows. In the queue, alongside the queue, you're bound to find many a scene kid hugging one another or standing with inverted feet and their hands in their pockets, or standing in a huddle holding a digital camera above their heads, posing for that photograph that will no doubt be photoshopped the second its on their PC and uploaded to MySpace to be commented by the Scene Kids enormous list of 'friends'!
35. Scene Kids like to say "kthnx". Deal with it.
36. Scene Kids also like to say "Deal with it". Kthnx.
41. Scene Kids often like to misuse the semi colon. "HI;My names W H A T E V E R !" (trademarked, naturally)
42. They also like to overuse exclamation mark and throw in some '1's and maybe even some 'ones', cos it's cool!!1!1!!one
SCENE KIDS LIKE:
47. Their amazing friends
48. digital cameras
51. art & photography
53. drinking and smoking
54. kissing in the rain
SCENE KIDS DON'T LIKE
55. Scene Kids
56. Random Adds
57. People asking them how they are
58. Anyone outside of their amazing group of friends
SCENE KIDS WANT FOR CHRISTMAS
59. A bf/gf plz?
SCENE KID MYTH
60. Not all scene kids are straight-edge. Most smoke like chimneys to be fair.
TO ENSURE MAXIMUM SCENE-NESS
61. Get pierced! Girls - monroe, snakebite, septum, excessive ear piercings, its all good! Guys - septum, snakebite, stretched ears, eyebrow, backs of necks, surface piercings, its all good!
62. Get tattood! Anything goes, especially stars. Scene Girls like their lower backs, hipbones, feet and ankles tattood, whereas guys opt for sleeves/half sleeves and across their chests.
63. Don't forget to mention what tattoos/piercings you have on your myspace profile!!1!
64. Swear excessively
I guess that pretty much covers How To Be A Scene Kid. Once you've read and followed every single step to the letter, don't forget to take a picture of your newly transformed self (see 'THE MYSPACE PHOTO!') and upload to your Myspace account (after photoshopping, of course). Expect loads of comments saying how "buff" and "pretty" && lush you are, just don't expect anybody to recognise you at a show because to be fair, you all look the same. Kthnxbye xox
"OMFGZZZ its THATREALLYSCENEKID™
typical "scene" girl:
-has a myspace with pictures of her from crazy angles with a TUFF face on because shes so hardxcore
-goes to local shows all the time
-belongs to a livejournal community called "cuntxcore" or "gungunbangbang" or "murderscene". because anything involving guns, or bang, or murder, or glamour, electric, shock, lust, or cunt, is cool in her book
-often says things like "SUP NIGZ" or "KTHXBAI" or "I HATE YOU KDIE" or "IM COOLER THAN YOU K" or "SUP IM RAD" on their myspace profile
-loves dinosaurs and robots and little girl bows and headbands because its just the way things are in the scene. dont ask them why all of them happen to find all of these things suddenly attractive, because they dont know themselves, its just what TOTALLY SCENExCORE people do.
usually theyre just obnoxious bitches who put on this "scener than thou" attitude and hate everyone else, kthxbai lol.
i am so scene, with my dinosaur shirt and my polka dot headband and my short choppy black hair and my cigarettes and my obnoxious attitude <3 kiss my ass kthxbai see you at the hardcore show tomorrow.
Okay kids. Enough trash talk. Let's have a neutral definition, because it's a bit childish to use on online dictionary to attack people. PLEASE.more...
The word "scene" coves a large spectrum throughout recent history, but its most modern definition is used to describe certian subcultures and movements. The most notoriously famous and targeted is the alternative music scene, or more specifically, branches of the alternative music scene such as hardcore, indie, fashoionxcore, etc. A breed of scenesters (people on the scene) has begun to come to the forefront. These scenesters are usually very music-savvy and loyal to a few specific genres (typically hardcore, metal, indie, retro, 80's new wave, classic rock, etc. to name a few), of which they dress to exemplify. It is hard to pin down a style for a scene male or female, considering the trends amongst them vary from coast to coast, and certian fads come in and out within their ranks. Typically, though, many scene kids will have facial piercings, tattoos, and longer hair. It is not unusual to see teased hair with long bangs on males, or short fauxhawks (a mohawk without the sides shaved, a fashion-friendly version) on females. It is almost a throwback to the revolution of Britian's glam era, very androgynous and fresh. Scenesters take a lot of pride in their overall image, and often they appreciate shock value. Oftentimes they are thrifty, employing their abilities as bargian-hunters and do-it-yourself gurus to do something uniqu...
Evidently on urbandictionary.com, being "scene" means you are a self-indulgent douche bag you uploads eleventy-billion pictures of yourself looking "scene". Congrat-u-fucking-lations. You can use a camera.
I'm starting to hate this website.
How to be Scene:more...
First and foremost, your AIM/MSN screen name should be some rad song title and/or lyric. Remember, the more x's you have in it, the more scene you are.
Next, go buy yourself some girl's jeans. Face it, the tighter your jeans are, the more scene you will be, and the more the hardcore kids will hate you for it. Try on a pair of jeans and find that you're a perfect woman's 2? Buy a woman's 0 and suck it in.
After you buy your jeans, go straight to Hot Topic and buy every single band shirt they have. Even if you've never listened to the band, or worse, never head of them either. If people ask you about them, just say you like the "old stuff" and no one will ever know that you actually hate Norma Jean. Never buy anything larger than a Youth Medium. Ever.
Dont forget to pick up a white leather belt on your way out!
So, now you're dressed pretty scene, but how's your hair? Is it dyed black? Maybe with some bleach-blonde streaks? Do your bangs cover one of your eyes? If you answered no to any of these, shut up, grab a pair of scissors, and chop away. Never go and get your hair done, ALWAYS do it yourself.
Good job. Now your hair is the sex. But, your look won't get you anywhere if you dont know how to dance. And by dance, I mean beat the crap out of people. First of all, you need to make sure you claim your space in the pit. As the band starts, push everyone back and scream something obscene. Then you need to start to pace the pit just so every...
The term "Scene" usually deals with Hardcore/Fashioncore kids. Guys and Girls who are usually (almost ALWAYS) Egotistic, Self-Centered, Narcissistic. Loves taking pictures of themselves. The pictures usually consist of the scene he/she throwing a peace sign and making a sassy facial expression. The scene he/she with big glasses. The scene he/she with their hand almost covering their mouth and the eyes to the side as if they were saying "uh oh". Finally, the scene he/she with his or her crew. Many pictures are photoshopped to make them look as "Sex" as can be. They spend hours on their myspace making it look as trendy as possible. Talk to people they will never meet for hours on end. A simple scene kid to scene kid conversation is shown below. These kids are cocky. They will tell you they think they're ugly and show you the 1,000 pictures proving it. They are better then you according to them. They love to "bring the hang out" with all of their scene friends. Many will call themselves straight edge yet share nude pictures and drink because "they are sad". Scene kids make fun of others who aren't like them. Many scene kids think they are non-conformist, although you take a look through myspace and you'll see a million others just like them. They quote movie lines over and over showing the lack of originality they actually have. They LOVE using slang and talking like a "thug". Scene kids also love to write notes to others and take pictures of themselves wi...more...
The new thing for 15-20 y/o kids on myspace.more...
Tight Band T-shirts
Obscure "Vintage" T-Shirts
Tight Girl Pants (on guys)
Super Straight Leg Pants (on girls)
Van Slip-Ons (2+ pairs)
White Studded belts
Bandanas on: wrist, head, in pocket, around neck etc.
MUST be 2+ colors and dyed in random sections. Red, Blonde, Black. (Neon Colors acceptable too.)
Choppy, and looks as if it was cut at home.
Almost mullet-like, with bangs.
Many "sexx" braclets.
Headbands and bows. (for girls)
(2-3)Obsure band pins on sweater or on jeans near crotch.
Eyeliner and over-the-top eye makeup (must be MAC or clinique)(on boys and girls)
Septum Piercing. (on girls only)
Abnormally large sunglasses.
TONS of rings.
Fake pearl/bead necklaces.
Goes to MANY shows, almost every day. 2+ on weekends.
Listens to "hardxcore" music.
Usually only goes to shows to "hardxcore" dance and talk shit about non-scene kids, or about the band.
HATES anyone not "scene"
Has a strange, almost leet-ish vocabulary. (AKA: LYEK OMFG I WENT TO THIS SHOW &&OMFG NI99A IT WAS HELLA TIGHTT.) Says && instead of "and", Says "nigga" and "ghey" but swears it not to be rasict or homophobic. Says "hella" ALOT and uses tons of contractions and acronyms. "OMFG". Adds another letter to random words. "radd" Says "gangster things" Says "cunt" ALOT.
Must be vegitarian or vegan.
"Scene" is a culture made mostly of teenagers and is relatable to emo. It is a culture derived to reject the "norm". Scene kids might often be quoted as saying "I hate people that arn't themselves" or "I dress this way because this is who I am!". Ironically, there has become a set mold which scene kids seemingly strive to fit, and they all look/act the same.more...
"Scene" guys often wear:
-tight t shirts, often from elementary school/middle school, or picked up from the local thrift store.
-tight blazers and jackets, even during a warm summer.
-Long, greesy hair, cut and dyed at home, with bangs that cover 1/2 of a "scene" guy's face at a 45 degree angle.
"Scene" girls often wear:
-Bright colored makeup
-Short, choppy hair, usually thicker on one side, and containing 2+ colors.
Scene kids are almost required to own a myspace page. Here, they will network with hundreds of other scene kids, post dozens of pictures of themselves (from different, crazy angles and more often than not, incorporating a bathroom mirror), and write blogs about pointless teenage drama which nobody else ...