"Look at that stupid ricer.lets race it."
"i just beat a turbocharged ricer Mazda protege in my Impala"
A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):
- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
- Clear tail lights and corner signals
- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)
- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.
The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.
Not a ricer: An oriental car with a fully built engine, drive train, and suspension reguardless of appearance
1. The sound of a loud fart in a coffee can.
2. The yellow blob with a bookshelf on the trunk that is 1/4 mile behind real cars.
3. A Honda that has "performance mods" such as stickers, seat harnesses, and a fire extinguisher in full view (just in case the things catches on fire when it hits 40 mph).
4. A driver who claims his car has 100hp per liter but will not fess up to the fact that his car has a total of 43 ft/lbs of torque.
Usually people who try to get into the import tuning scene after watching the fast and the furious a few too many times. Not necessarily anyone who goes and buys a bodykit, because a few of those actually do decrease drag, increase cooling, etc., like veilside and stuff, just crappy ripoffs that dont do a damn thing except maybe increase downforce, but if you have a FWD car, a spoiler is just gonna make you go slower. Also, if you have any idea how cars work, you'd realize that there really is no point in making a car look fast if it cant go fast, and if you dont understand how cars work, or dont care, you have no business even pretending to be a part of the tuner scene.
Can you spot the ricer?
usually 16-24 years old, that spend more money untastefully modding a car, than its even worth. e.g humongous aluminum/fiberglass spoiler, cheap, oversized fiberglass bodykit, "clear" rear lights, obnoxious exhaust and oversized exhaust tip, 500 sponsor decals/stickers of performance parts they dont even own, flame vinyls/paint, etc etc
not a ricer: tasteful/light body modifications which maintain the car's "sleeper" look, more money invested into the engine rather than aesthetics