Refers to two types of individuals:
1) Someone who lacks knowledge, but who tries to compensate by pretending to be very smart, by carrying around impressive looking books on science, math, literature, and related subjects. May also wear a trendy, sophisticated pair of eyeglasses.
For the most part, this type is harmless.
2) Someone who has a serious personality disorder. These types derive a great deal of pleasure by "enlightening" others with their "brilliance" and "wit".
Their primary method of operation is to use irony and sarcasm to taunt those who they believe do not live up to their standards. Virtually every word out of their mouth is some unnecessary, smartass remark.
They lack the ability to have a genuine, sincere conversation with anyone. Instead of having a healthy, balanced, back-and-forth exchange, they pontificate and talk down to those who have the misfortune of not escaping the room before they walk in.
It is a waste of time to point out to these disturbed individuals that their behavior is obnoxious, as they will inform you that you simply lack the ability to understand their "superior" view of the world.
Basically, it's someone who thinks that being an argumentative wiseass somehow makes them cultured and fun to be around, and that shouting at the rain and being disagreeable for the sake of being disagreeable somehow makes them substantive.
Me: "I think I'd like some barbecue sauce with my chicken nuggets."
Pseudo-intellectual: "What part of the chicken does the nugget come from, and are the chickens free range, and is the barbecue sauce the same red color as the blood that runs through the streets of Baghdad because of the evil American capitalism and imperialism that empowers greedy coporations such as McDonald's to exist?!"
Me: "Shut up, you delusional pseudo-intellectual."
1. One who attempts to flex intellect that does not exist within his or her own mind.more...
2. Can probably be found with a thesaurus in hand, while in a chat room, looking up new insults that are synonymous with "stupid" in order to boost his or her own undeserved ego.
3. Typical cases of pseudo-intellectualism involve pre-pubescent 15 year olds that think they have everything figured out, including, but not limited to: life, religion, politics, education, and sex. Ironically, they have never quite experienced either of the aforementioned.
4. Pretends he or she has an opinion.
5. Posseses a severe tendency to blindly and wholeheartedly believe any bullshit they hear, only to subsequently regurgitate the misinformation to anyone they see in an asinine attempt to appear more intelligent than a used, broken condom.
6. Should the victim of the verbal onslaught happen to have a differing opinion, the pseudo-intellectual will revert to his or her thesaurus and insult the opposition with words he or she never knew existed, and probably cannot even pronounce.
7. Annoyingly and constantly refers to the word antidisestablishmentarianism, as if knowledge of said word defined his or her illegitimately high intelligence quotient.
8. Typically a hypocrite; creates many, many contradictions. Most online grammar/spelling Nazis can relate.
9. Always ends a bullshit "argument" with, "I win, so stfu." Win what, dipshits? Your opinions weren't fact in the first place.
the person above me^^^^
4 signs of the pseudo-intellectual
2. Going against common thought without evidence
3. Bringing up intellectualism in non-requistite situations
4. Un-neccersary use of verbs and adjectives with 4 syllables or more
Dude #1: hey wanna go to the movies tomorrow night?
Dude #2: Nah, the cinema is so low-brow. I don't understand how so many people find aesthetic values in it. I'm going home to read. As Descartes said "cogito, ergo sum".
Dude #1: Yeah....OK.
A person who uses "big words" to impress people, insists on being politically-correct all the time, constantly bitches about "the system", and thinks they're gods among men because they're atheist.
"Billy is such a pseudo-intellectual; he thinks he has to take American Government I this year because the school board's trying to brainwash him."
the act of going to a coffeeshop with an impressive book (Debord, Nietzche, or maybe an advance bio book) and flipping through the pages without comprehension in hopes of starting a conversation with another patron.
Man that guy was going so pseudo-intellectual at the hungarian pastry shop.
A Pseudo-Intellectual is somebody who thinks he's got it all figured out, but really doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.
TheAmazingAtheist is the perfect example of a Pseudo-Intellectual.
Somebody that tries too hard to not be "typical" by saying they like whatever isn't the trend. Usually they listen to post-rock like Mogwai, Sigur Ros, and Interpol. (I like some of those bands too but I don't keep shoving my musical taste at a bunch of n*sync fans to try to feel a false sense of superiority) And they like anything described as "indie"; movies like Ghost World, Donnie Darko, Requiem for a Dream, and Whale Rider. If you said those movies were popular(which they pretty much are) they would get pissed. Basically, they're people that miss the point about actually enjoying something cause they're too caught up at trying to look cultured, therefore they are posers.
"After watching Donnie Dark and listening to the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor a millionth time, the pseudo-intellectual sipped java at the "cool" cafe where he talked about how intellectual he was for not liking anything marketed"