Gee, I learned the word preppy from urban dictionary.com by reading more than 20 definitions.
I guess, preppy is a life style, if you guys wanna call it that. (Most of the definition writers are probably wanna-be preps anyway, thinking that they're preps :D, or girls lol. you guys are pathetic, and preppy girls hate, A&F girls awww... prob coz the A&F guys look better and they can't get em? lol)
But you guys definately want to segregate yourselves from the rest of the world, thinking your so special. I guess, I would do the same if I could have. But I guess I can't cause I'm poor as shit. (and now I know what you preps think about yourselves, I would never want to be a prep, and so I go beyond the prep. Preps suck, and I will shit on preps.)
And so, that is why they exist, the modern prep:
1) Simple One, or two colored clothings.
2) Stripe is too sophisticated design.
3) Do not follow the trend.
4) Do not follow other preps.
5) Wear and do what you enjoy.
6) Express by dressing.
7) You are naked without a necklace or bracelet
8) You do not wear rings, because they're uncomfortable.
9) You have long shaggy hair.
10) You have deep thoughts but you don't tell other people because it's not possible to communicate.
11) You do not brag.
12) Must have more than 20 polos, even same colors. You even have more than 2 jeans that are exactly the same.
13) Non-baggy/Non-tight Jeans.
14) Ripped Jeans.
15) Ripped white plain hanes with holes.
16) Pants are all over 100 bucks.
17) Buy expensive wear, and rip the brand tag off ( around the left nipple area )
18) You are not scared.
19) You are intelligent and do extremely well in school. 3.6gpa and up
20) You enjoy by doing, not talking
21) You are not a hypocrate.
22) You listen to classical music, and donetello's david is your favorate sculpture.
23) You make your own music.
24) You are a great drawer/painter.
25) You are creative.
26) You do not listen to anybody/anything, you are motivated by what you like.
27) If it's been done before, you abandon it.
28) Modern preps don't get along with other modern preps.
29) You hate religion.
30) You do not have group sex.
31) You don't meet somebody that night and sleep with him/her.
Then you're a modern prep.
BUT you will never be it even if you wanted to because:
1) You're not smart enough.
2) You're a hypocrate.
3) You're your parent's slave.
4) You're scared.
5) You think that religion may exist, while we burn bibles.
6) You're not artsy, and thus can not be a true thinker.
7) Never will be extremely rich.
8) ** You think you're satisfied with your life. While others keep climbing up. If this motion is relative, you will be down someday :D **
Preppy polka dots!
glowing with preppiness
dj musashi preppy style
Preppy to the max....ralph lauren and vineyard vines
note the pearls, polo, and lilly...
i found this girls xanga ^preppy fo real dog
Wears, but is not limited to, Polo, Lilly, Brooks Brothers, Lacoste, LL Bean (ie duck boots), ribbon belts, prints (ie cords with embroidered whales, palm trees, etc), sweaters tied around the neck, collar always popped, looks neat and put together. Hair ribbons or ribbon headbands, pearls, and other classic jewelry pull the look together. Preppies are partial to monogrammed and engraved items (ie tote bags, oxford shirts, jewelry, money clips, etc). Colors are always brite (favorites include pink and lime green). Preppies may not always match EXACTLY but they are always coordinated. Hats are worn (ie polo player, Lacoste, Brooks Brothers), but they are unique- not designs you would see in the mainstream and the "mall".
Preppies often attend prep schools (ie Middlesex School, Governor Dummer Academy, and Belmont Hill) followed by New England private colleges.
They are confident and unafraid to express their own styles and be daring in their fashions. Preppies vacation on Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Delray Beach, and on the coast of Maine. These vacation locales are places their families have been going to for years, and have histories there.
It is a common misconception that preppies are snobs. Many people view them as unapproachable, and as a result mislabel them. Preppies are not as rich as people may think they are, but they are often well off. They buy into classics rather than trends, and don't change their lifestyles with fads.
Preppies tend to have bizarre connections with other preppies they meet, always finding mutual friends/ family and people that run in the same circle.
* Wear tight, skin exposing clothing (ie fitted Abercrombie sexual tshirts with tight flared jeans)
* Limit themselves to mall shopping and chain stores. They gravitate towards long-established classic stores and boutiques unique to quaint New England towns.
* Wear heavy makeup and endless hair products. The phrase "less is more" is a preppy creed.
* Glue purses to their arms, especially when going to school. Lip gloss and if need be, a wallet, are thrown into tote bags along with books.
Preppy as in boarding schools and summers on nantucket. Preppy as in WASP and old money. As in LL Bean fur moccasins and ribbons in your hair, and flip-flops when it's 10 degrees outside. As in sailing and Topsiders and looking back on your house from your boat and being so, so happy. Preppy as in buying clothes not for the label but for what they look like. Preppy as in collars up and Nantucket Red shorts faded to pink. As in crew, tennis, squash, lacrosse. As in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine. As in Ivy League and prep schools with the word "academy" in their names.
As you can probably tell, I've had a lot of experience with this sort of person...and I suppose I am one...but so what if I summer on the Cape and wear blue seersucker and play tennis? Preppy is not a trend, it's a LIFESTYLE...it can never go out of fashion. There will always be people trying to emulate the preppy clothes and thinking they are preps, but really it's about your background and your education and where you summer. Not everyone who wears Lilly is a prep-- there is certain fashion that preppies usually wear, but that doesn't mean someone can just pop their collar and pretend they went to Groton or Choate.
(so yes, those of you who define preppy as:LOVES A+F, PINK, MAKEUP,MAKING FUN OF GOTHS and CHEERLEADING!!!!! are wrong)
"preppy" is a lifestyle; that of many well-to-do and often "waspy" families of New England and New York; most preppy teenagers have been preppy since birth; have attended private/boarding schools in New England all of their lives; enjoy sophisticated, lifelong sports such as (but not restricted to)tennis, sailing, skiing, and golf. Many live in classically preppy areas such as New Canaan, CT; the North Shore, MA; Westchester County, NY; and Greenwich, CT. Many also have second or third homes in Vermont for skiing, or Nantucket/Block Island/Cape Cod for summers.
Many are legacies at boarding schools/colleges in the North East, many are talented but party as hard as they work; Most are old money (see wasp) but there are "nouveau riche" preps who may prefer more modern customs (ie. abercrombie etc) than the timeless classics of the "wasp" lifestyle.
Preppy clothing designers include (but are not limited to):
Lilly Pulitzer, Ralph Lauren, Petit Bateau, J.Crew, Anthropologie, Patagonia, Birkinstock, Brooks Brothers, Lacoste, C.K. Bradley, L.L. Bean, the North Face, etc.
Preppy Designers do NOT include:
Abercrombie and Fitch, Express, American Eagle, The Limited, Guess, Aeropostale, etc.
HOWEVER: preppy items may be found at many of these locations (ex: nantucket red girls chinos at American Eagle)
Preppy (girls) essentials include:
ribbon belts,minimal makeup (or better, none), minimal hair styling, pearls, oxfords, polos, chinos, birkinstock clogs, sauconys, headbands, cableknit sweaters, brightly colored pants, cropped pants, jack rogers sandals, lilly pulitzer sundresses, longchamp/herve chapelier/vineyard vines/ll bean totes, patagonia fleeces, reef sandals, JCrew bathing suits, rainbow sandals,moccasins/topsiders, and many more.
preppy (boys) essentials include:
brightly colored baseball hats, rainbow sandals, Ralph Lauren polo shirts (in ALL colors- the brighter the better), nautical rope bracelets, nantucket red khakis, messy/unkempt hair (or minimal styling), other brightly colored khakis/shorts, crewneck sweaters, flannel/plaid oxfords, rope belts, striped ties, vineyard vines ties, LL bean boots, patagonia fleeces, navy blazers + khakis, topsiders, and much more.
"Yea I know, and she is very classy too."