1) The country-club tennis-playing yacht-partying Ivy-league-attending preps who consider themselves the 'true' preps. Many have already posted dtheir definitions here.
And in the middle-class world:
2) The upper-middle class folk who wear Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle, and Hollister. They are also sometimes known as "cookie-cutters." The cookie-cutter prep can be found throughout most suburban American highschools. They are generally intelligent and in good classes, even though they often appear somewhat vacuous. The boys like to goof off, while the girls giggle at the boy's antics. Tending to dress rather conservatively and in pastels, they are often nice enough and are not vindictive to friends because they have perfect lives and never fight. They tend to not be vindictive to other social groups or those outside their cliques either because they a) ignore them as often as possible and b) have no quarrels with anyone. They are a tight-knit if large, group, all with iPods, Razrs, Ugs, and the latest handbag. Surprisinglly, they mayl be friendly to other, 'nerdier' classmates on the rare occasions when they communicate with them. Of course, this does not stop most of them from the obsessive use of "like," or from being arrogant and obnoxious, especially the boys. These may also be called perfect or pretty preps.
3) The third type of prep is the slutty prep. Slutty preps are often friends with the pretty preps, so there is a lot of room for confusion. However, a slutty prep can be anywhere in the middle-class and is much more vindictive, obnoxious, etc. While most female pretty preps are flat chested, the slutty preps are generally(though not always) size D and they know it. Clothing, while from the same venues as the perfect preps, is generally tighter and shows much more cleavage. Slutty preps also tend to be less intelligent, and people are often surprised if one gets into an honor class. Slutty preps curse more, call other people names more, and gossip more. They are more capable of backstabbing and racial slurs, and can generally be described as sluts. While one might want to become a pretty or true prep, one does not want to become a slutty prep. It should also be noted that slutty preps are often the ones with the blonde dye jobs that are growing out or else bad blonde highlights, while pretty preps may have ribbons in their ponytails. Slutty preps are also generally unatheletic, while perfect preps may play soccer, field hockey, tennis, lacrosse, etc. Slutty preps are also more elitist, often harrassing those they consider below them on the social ladder (though to almost everyone except themselves, and their friends, they are often near the bottom of the ladder. No one likes a prep who calls every black girl in the school a bitch and a whore.).
All preps have either long, straight hair or else keep long, dark, curly hair in a ponytail.
2) Natasha plays field hockey in the fall and tennis in the spring, while on weekends she shops at AE and parties at school dances. All while scoring perfectly on the AP exam. Isn't she such a prep?
3) Marly enjoys making fun of the nerds and smart black girls, but she's so stupid that she thought Washington crossed the Mississppi in a new Hollister shirt while ordering his men on a Razr. What a prep.
Has come to be an label for those who conform to typical teenage behavior, in areas like clothing, school behavior, and sports participation, because preps usually are more ambitious and/or image-conscious than others.
Popular belief is that preps hate nerds/goths/punks/etc, however, generally, preps pay little attention to other "types," and those who hate preps with the most passion are those who were once preps and have recently gone away from their previous behavior, and often people who are posers intent on protecting their alternative-ness.
Prep has become to be nearly synonymous with conformist, to the point where most preps have been in denial of their typecast, and it is seen as an insult in the eyes of many.
Preppy is the adjective form, Preppily is the adverb.
Bob wouldn't talk to Annie; He thought her interest in MTV and popular culture made her too preppy.
Tiffany started dressing very preppily over the summer, shedding her all-black dress code for the latest styles.
As someone else on here said, "preps are the downfall of society". and they are.
THOUGH, there ARE some people that are actually not snobby, wear the "prepy" clothes because they like them, and are smart and not shallow. These people are OK they are nice. They will not lead to the apocolypse like the rest of the preps.
prep: Lyk OMG I'm lyk ssooooo jumpin off a briadgee todai. OMGOMG who wantz to com.
Person 2: Yeah. I'll bet she's really rich.
-Are on the varsity football team, the cheerleading squad, or dance squad
-Wear clothes from stores such as Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister
-Have cellphones with ringtones
-Are the first in their class to have cars and other "adult" luxuries
-~:*TyPe LiK dIs On Da InTeRnEt*:~
-Know absolutely nothing about music outside of what is on MTV or the radio
-Know absolutely nothing about "nerd" things (anime, comic books, D&D, etc)
-Think goths are "evil Satan worshipping freaks"
-Do not play video games outside of sports/racing games and Halo/Halo 2 (males) -Do not play video games at all (females)
-Do not play musical instruments, write poetry, or have any artistic qualities of any kind
-Spend their weekends at the mall, at school sports games, or at parties, where they "get drunk off their ass"
-Are absolutely HATED by most intelligent people (including me) for their stupidity and snobbish attitude.
Me:...*wants to tear their head off*
Principal: "Now that's no way to talk about your fellow classmates. Zack Morris is one of the wealthiest students at this school... although he is known for his hillarious shinanigans."
Dirt poor bastard wearing clothes from Salvation Army: "Look, he's got that smaller poorer kid in a headlock."
Principal: "Oh I'm sure that kid deserves it, but you can see me in detention for using the curse word, 'prick'."
First off: You don't have to be from the north to be a prep. Let me make this very clear. What prep initially implies is that you went to preparatory school, hence the word "prep" (I'll discuss later how it's a cultural identity). There are plenty of good southern preparatory schools, which include Woodberry Forest, Virginia Episcopal School...you get the idea. There are good preparatory schools in every corner of this country, but it's the New England boarding schools that have assisted in establishing this stereotyped location.
Let's get on with true prep culture:
A prep's wardrobe consists of some expensive clothing, but they've had it for the better part of a decade--excluding the two Vineyard Vines polos they got for their birthday and the 50% off sale at Brooks Brothers--indicating the true preppy trait of valuing "classic" over "trendy". We don't buy into the Lacoste trend of now, but we will gladly wear "handed down from dad" Lacoste polo shirt when it still maintained an association with Izod, which was well before it became the token icon of a sold out, soulless and materialistic world.
And as far as the true prep's garage is concerned, you're more likely to find a boxy Volvo station wagon or sedan (ski rack clutching to the roof for dear life) than you are the Ferrari or Hummer that everybody seems to associate with a prep. You find cars like those in the garages of those obnoxious yuppies who liken themselves to human beings because of the sole reason that they have a body with blood (no matter how drug-laced) flowing through it.
Another typical misconception about preps is that we live in gigantic mansions on the 8th fairway of some country club to prove a point. Hell no. People who buy a big house with the sole intention of demonstrating that they have a lot of money are NOT preps. They are assholes or yuppies. The only time a prep will ever move into a big house (and even then, it will never be one that is likened to a McMansion)is if A) they have a large family or B) it was passed down for generations (refer to the "classic" versus "trendy" juxtaposition, because trust me, it applies right here). When it comes to housing, for a true prep, less is definitely more. A true prep will rent a studio apartment somewhere on the Upper East Side in lieu of purchasing a behemoth piece of archtectural vomit on the links, even though both probably wind up costing the same.
This brings me to education. Preps spend money on an education for the sole reason of having the proper tools to become successfully established with relative ease upon graduation. It's not for bragging rights, because anybody who brags about going to Harvard because it's "Haaaarvard" and not "the groundwork for their future success" usually winds up the victim of some form of brutal sodomy. A prep's tendency with regard to education is to go to a top College or University (generally on the east coast, but there's always Stanford and UCLA should a prep choose to make a respectable deviation from the norm). Private institutions frequented by preps include, but are certainly not limited to: Middlebury, Bowdoin, Duke, Tufts, Davidson, Lehigh, LaFayette, Colby, Bates, and every single Ivy League institution ever established. If for high school, a prep found Choate, Kent or Andover to be too small, they might choose to attend any of the following public universities: UVA, UNC, Michigan, UCLA, etc.
Finally, to put an end to an abhorrent misconception that everybody seems to maintain: NO, true preps do not buy their social status. Maybe we'll hang out at a ritzy bar if a friend is getting married, but normally, we avoid those scenes until we're at least 45 years old and drink scotch. The young people who frequent those places are just plain trying too hard. A true prep knows where to find a classy joint that won't break the bank or the heart. An amazing night on the town for a prep consists of dinner at J.G. Melon (11$) followed by an evening of wasting away on well-bourbon at T.J.'s (25$), which is an incredibly fun and inexpensive joint, considering it's in Manhattan. If that were my night, which it has been before, I would have just spent less in six hours than the pretentious bastard across the street did in the thirty seconds that it took him to order the Escargot.
A true prep is a classy individual. We know where to go, who to know and we seriously believe in class, and the true ones of us refuse to buy into pop culture. We do the right things, whether it's holding the door for a lady, mixing our Gin and Tonic with the right proportions, or double-spacing after every period when we write our essays. Truly, "prep" is not a trend, it is a classic way of life.
John: Ah yes, a true prep.
Brian: And look at that, he just gave his jacket to that incredibly tall, gorgeous blonde woman. Why can't my daughter find someone like that?
Now the real preps are generally smart, privilaged, and (very often) white. Their parents are usually doctors, lawyers, or buisnessmen, and all went to college. All preps will go to college, often Ivy Legue schools, or small liberal arts colleges in New England (Middlebury, Trinity, Colby, Etc.), though some will go to the elite west coast schools. Preps will generally fill their college resumes with multiple AP classes and will have SAT tutors or courses to assue their entry into these small, elite, and expensive private colleges.
In the end, these real "preps" are the new aristocracy of the United States. They live their lives sheltered from the hardships that the average citizen must deal with, going on about their way in refined luxury. Their lives are set up before they are born, most will go on to similarly professional, affluent, and prestigious careers as their parents, and they will soon give birth to the next generation of preps.