Slang used in the Hispanic culture, possibly exclusive to Mexican, meaning to agree wholeheartedly or to express enthusiasm for an idea or object. Equivolent to "Right on" or "Cool".
Person 1: Let's get stoned.
Person 2: Odelay, homes.
While recording Beck's 1996 album of the same name, the then-unnamed track 'Lord Only Knows' was written down by the engineer as 'O-Del-Ay' based on his phoenetic understanding of the outro vocal. Beck is ACTUALLY singing "Órale", which is a common Hispanic term meaning:
1. affirmation that something is impressive, exclamatory
2. an agreement with a statement (similar to 'word')
3. alarm, surprise or danger
4. a simple greeting
5. "hurry up"
Beck liked the misspelling, naming the album after it. As such, the word carries a similar exclamatory function to it's Spanish pronunciation.
"Odelay, Odelay! Just passing through."
- Hey/Hi/What's Up/Word, just passing through!"
Spanish (mexican-american) slang for, "RIGHT ON!", or "Alright!".
The expression was coined first by CHICANOS (California-based Latinos) during the mid 20th century (around 60's)
It is NOT a word that is used by all Latinos. Homeboy's use the term a lot
Lil Joker: Hey, Esse-- lets go cruise the calle in el chingon lowrider.
Sad Boy: Odelay.
in latino-american culture, a slang term used as a greeting.
"odelay, new york city! odelay HBO ! odelay latinos !"
"odelay, chica. what are you doing tonight?"
A tremendously talented shape-shifting album by Beck. Odelay also means... well, I can't tell you THAT.
Odelay, odelay, just passin' through...
typically used by Hispanic Americans (quite possibly strictly Mexican Americans)
(guy singing along to electric radio smoking a joint in his car)
(Mexican man pulls up next to him in his car)
M: Odelay, take that shit to the next level
M: Odelay...Pinche fresca!
1) To get a song stuck in one's head.
2) To get a song stuck in someone else's head through humming, singing or whistling.
1) Some girl Odelayed me in the elevator with Jack Johnson.
2) I totally Odelayed this guy in the elevator when I was whistling.