After reading the other posts, i would like to make my own point because honestly, some of those things= mental retardation.
1. Nirvana (the rock/grundge band) is probably one of the greatest rock bands in the 20th century. Led by mentaly and physicly tormented vocalist and guitarest kurt cobain, Nirvana rocked the main stream music for nearly 5 years.
Kurt Cobain has recently won the title of richest dead rockstar. He allegedly commited suicide at the peak of his fame. He was tormented sence childhood with the divorce of his parents and the way his parents acted as he grew up. This led ot many other problems including him living on the streets for almost a year at the age of 15. He was also tormnted with a severe stomach problem which is one of the reasons why he got hooked on Heroin. Cobain was alwas one to abuse substances and he did nothing about his addiction until his child, Frances Bean was to be born when he finally tried to quit. It didnt work. He could only go 10 minutes of sobriety before feeling withdrawl. His suicide was surrounded by strange things like he had so much heroin in his system that he couldnt have even had time to take the needle out of his arm before passing out, his shoes were on and he would have need to pull the trigger with his toe, and his suicide note had several strange things to it aswell. But, Courtney Love, who people think killed him, was half way across the continent at the time and at a rehab center to try to get off the heroin that Cobain got her addicted to. The shed that Cobain was found in, was locked from the inside. He found a way to kill himself, that is that.
there was signs of his suicidal future at the age of 12 when he would talk of suicide, rape, and other things normally not spoken of with such calmness.
Contrary to what people think, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Lithium, and Come As You Are are not the only songs that Nirvana put together. On there first album Bleach, the opening song About A Girl found its way onto the Greatest hits album self titled Nirvana. Other notable songs include All Apologies, In Bloom, You Know Your Right (also known as Over the Mountain, Moutain Top, and several other names), Heart Shaped Box, Rape Me, Polly, Drain You, On A Plain, Stay Away, Pennyroyal Tea, and several covors of The Meat Puppets and David Bowie on the MTV UnPlugged album.
And for all of you who hate MTV (I am included), there was a time when artists like Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Alice In Chains, and even Bob Dylan found there way there.
The band consisted of Dave Grohl on drums who is now in Foo Fighters, Krist Noveselic on bass, and of course Kurt Cobain.
2. Nirvana is a Hindu state of purity. It is reached when the soul is at peace with god and the universe and only when this is reached, can the person stop the process of reincarnation and proceed into the after life. One who has reached this stage is called a Guru. I personaly do not believe that but it seems like a very peaceful thought. Nirvana literally means at peace. (the reason why Cobain named the band that)
1. Nirvana is one of the best bands of the 20th century and one of the best Grundge bands. the only other grundge bands worth mentioning would be Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. but somthing that Nirvana has that they dont is obvious pasion.
2. Nirvana is the ultimate stage of inlightenment and peace. It is when a person is at one with the universe and god and can then proceed to the after life. It's Hindu which is the 3rd largest religion in the world. the only thing i can connect to this would be the best high in the world. probably mixing heroin, pot, and some designer drug together to form the ultimate compound.
The true meaning of a "Grunge" band
When comparing grunge music, Nirvana is always the first band to come to mind
One of the Best bands of all time. They delayed the domination of rap and pop for a few years and allowed rock to regain it's title.
We need another band like Nirvana to stop the domination of rap and pop we are now facing
I'm reading these definitions and I thought I had to do one of my own. Most of 'em are by people who've only heard a "the hits" on the rock-radio, or by angst-ridden, dumbass teens who like Slipknot as well.
Throw away the cliches, Smells like Teen Spirit, and Kurt Cobain's idea of hating fame. Forget all that shit. Then, go spend ten bucks and buy them live, unplugged on MTV.
Before an artsy internet geek get's all nimbly bimbly on me for mentioning MTV.. remember, there was a time when Eric Clapton, Bobby Dylan, and Noel Gallagher all found there way onto the MTV screen.. it wasn't always shit.
Take the Unplugged CD, throw it in whatever you use to play music, and forget about everything else that you're doing. From All Apologies to Where Did You Sleep Last Night, you will be blown away.
Honest to god, that eerie tingle in Cobain's voice will make you wonder how you've lived without hearing this album. Do yourself a favour, sober up and go to the record store. Buy it, and thank me.
Also, don't do heroin. Not cool atall.
Clerky : "That'll be 11.99"
Clerky : "A twenty? Here's your change."
Dude : "Thanks man"
Clerky : "Oh, by the way. Nice choice. Solid stuff you got there"
1. A term used in Hinduism, the native religion of India and third largest religion in the world behind Christianity and Islam. Hinduists believe that a person reincarnates until they achieve an understanding of the relationship between God(known by Bhrama or Atman) and man. The state at which this is achieved is known as nirvana, and person who has achieved this is known as a guru. It is believed that once nirvana is achieved, a person will achieve the aftelife, rather than reincarnating.
2. A term used by Budhists to describe the ultimate state of enlightment in which the soul is free from all worldly possessions. Derived from the Hinduist phrase.
3. A state of total bliss or happiness.
4. A popular rock band of the same name from the late 80s and early 90s featuring Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)
"He no longer saw the face of his friend Siddhartha, instead he saw
other faces, many, a long sequence, a flowing river of faces, of
hundreds, of thousands, which all came and disappeared, and yet all
seemed to be there simultaneously, which all constantly changed and
renewed themselves, and which were still all Siddhartha." - From Herman Hesse's Siddhartha
by anonymous Apr 27, 2003 add a video
a. one of the best f---ing bands ever in existence
b. freedom from suffering
c. a state of mind in which worldly possesions and suffering are no longer in existance
Kurt Cobain, the frontman for the band Nirvana, decided on the name Nirvana because it means freedom from suffering.
1.) a term used by Buddhists to describe a state of complete enlightenment free from desire and suffering
2.) a band that, in its final line-up featured singer, songwriter, and guitarist Kurt Cobain, bassist Krist Novoselic, and drummer Dave Grohl; dominated rock music throughout the early 1990s with their "grunge" sound, which at the time was quite common to many bands in Seattle, Washington; before his death in 1994 which is usually attributed to suicide, Cobain used his influence to rail against sexism, racism, homophobia, corporate control, and the mainstreaming of the underground; Nirvana inspired many with thier mix of heartfelt and emotional music and unique social conciousness
1.) Sometimes when I close my eyes I almost feel like I've reached nirvana.
2.) My favorite Nirvana song is "Lithium."
The best band ever. How ironic that apathetic Kurt Cobain could inspire so many. They saved the music industry from racist bands like Guns and Roses, from bands worried more on their look and how much money they'll make than on the soul of the music. If Kurt was still alive none of us would have to go through the torture of bling-bling rappers or meaningless good charlotte.
when I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions; Never met a wiseman if so it's a woman; just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you;;
by anonymous Nov 7, 2003 add a video