Just because a lot of people believe in mormonism does not make it anything other than a cult. It is just that mormonism has become a really big cult that is nonetheless scary in its manipulative and backward belief system than it was at its inception.
1. Joseph Smith, its founder, was a "prophet" and was led by the angel Moroni to a hill in upstate New York to discover a set of golden plates that contained prophecies that are not found in the Bible. At this site he allegedy saw God and Jesus. What crap. The Bible teaches that no human being can lay their eyes upon God and survive.
2. They believe that the Garden of Eden was located at the present day site of Kansas City, Missouri and that Zion will be located there in the future. What crap. The Bible specifically says the Garden was in the Fertile Crescent between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.
3. Jesus and Lucifer (Satan) are brothers and Godchildren to God the Father and his "wife." This implies a sexual union between God the Father and some Godess. What hogwash.
4. God is made of flesh and bone becuase the Bible says mankind is made in the image of God.
5. Prophets from around the time of the Tower of Babel built a boat and sailed to what is now the North American continent.These people are the ancestors to ancient North American tribes.
6. celestial marriage in that marriage continues in the afterlife.
7. baptism of the dead in that one can be baptised on behalf of a deceased loved one
8. family-oriented and lots of kids
9. DOES NOT BELIEVE IN MONOGOMY. The practice was denounced by the Church in the 1800s.
10.Jesus appeared to Indians in ancient America sometime after his resurrection in the first century.
11.The leaders of each church is considered a "prophet" and is specifically ordained by God himself to lead a congregation.
(To Mormon) "Hi. I'm from Palymra." "OH MY GOD, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" "No. You're Mormon aren't you?"