If you think your state sucks then look at this state. It has real problems. It was built on the auto industry and you can thank its large and antiquated labor unions such as the UAW and its Democrat money for ruining this state's economy. It has put all of its economic eggs in one basket (the auto industry) and has refused to diversify its economy. This has produced devastating effects: MI and Detroit has become the capital of the Rust Belt, it has lost the most jobs, has the country’s highest unemployment, the nation’s highest number of foreclosures and the brain drain. Detroit’s “Big Three” have not been able to compete with the Japanese and have been responsible for many of Michigan’s layoffs. Buick once called Flint home but no more. Ransom Olds (Oldsmobile) used to call Lansing home, but no more. These companies closed up shop years ago and will NEVER return. Don’t get me started on the problems the auto industry has caused Detroit and most important MI cities: job losses, a population exodus, crime and blight. Comerica, a large bank even recently moved its HQ from Detroit to Texas. Detroit has lost over half of its population and is no longer one of America’s top ten largest cities. It will soon be passed in population by Indianapolis, Jacksonville Columbus and Austin. Detroit has become hell’s largest suburb and its corporate headquarters. These are the facts and if Michiganders don’t like then it’s time to change things. Things have gotten so bad for many of Michigan’s cities that Governor Jennifer Granholm initiated a failed “cool cities” initiative to attract young folk back to its cities. It will never work becuase once Michiganders graduate from college they usually leave this place. Who could blame them?
MI ranks high in agriculture production. Its largest agricultural products include cherries (Traverse City is the world’s cherry capital), Christmas trees, dairy products and cereal (Kellogs is based in Battle Creek).
The typical Michigan accent resembles a dialect from Wisconsin, Minnesota or Ontario. Words like “can” are pronounced as KEN. “Hike, bike and kite” are pronounced as HOYK, BOYK and KOYT. Even simple words like “milk” are pronounced as MELK. Many college football fans are divided in loyalty between the Michigan State Spartans and UM Wolverines. If you’re form Ohio, don’t dare come up to MI and insult the Wolverines. You will likely end up with a black eye, split lip or a busted tooth. This is a state where retired auto industry workers move to the Sun Belt or Northern Michigan for its outdoor opportunities in hunting, fishing, skiing or even snowmobiling. Michiganders will often make weekend trips to cabins or vacation homes in Northern Michigan. Many of its old farts in the north can't drive worth a dam. Some places are nice to visit. Mackinac Island (pronounced MAK-IN-AW) is popular. The world's largest Christmas store is located in Frankenmuth, known for its German heritage.
There is nothing good about Michigan unless you like being without a job. Michigan sucks in general and it is not surprising that its people are leaving for greener pastures. I hate Michigan and am glad I moved out. I should have moved out earlier.
2.) An excellent college football team that never seems to have a losing season.
D.) Where snow is not a big deal in May.
4.) A place with a decent music scene.
E.) Mexico's biggest fan, seeing as every company decides to move there.
2.) The Michigan Wolverines are number 5. Again.
D.) "Hello, it's May 3rd. today was a beautiful day, 75 and sunny. Tomorrow there's a slight chance of snow and highs in the twenties."
4.) "Did you check out that new band from Grand Rapids, Still Remains?"
"Yeah bro. They're so xmetalx. Woot."
E.)"2,000 jobs will be lost as yet another company moves down to Mexico, where they can pay workers 1/6th what they pay them now."
2. consists of 2 peninsula's...yes, TWO. the u.p. is equally a part of michigan.
3. is not called the wolverine state because of the presence of wolverines...but because of their commitment and working like "wolverines" during the cold war.
4. state with some sweet colleges.
5. yeah, it's cold, but we like it!
6. we got all great lakes around us. beautiful, beautiful.
7. one word...pistons
8. we got the nimrods.
9. potholes-yes...unemployment? yes...
10. no state can be perfect, there are flaws, but michigan is an awesome state!
2. the u.p. has the best stories.
3. we work hard, & it shows
4. michigan tech, central, concordia, ferris, michigan state, nmu, u of michigan (oldest state college in u.s.)
5. that's why you get complimentary gloves when you enter the lower peninsula.
6. if you stay anywhere in michigan, you are within 85 miles of a great lake.
7. so what if they didn't win the championship, they still got 2nd, they were defending champs and they lost in game 7, GAME 7!!
8. also, the bessemer speedboys and the kingsford flivvers were on the list for espn's high school names.
9. yeah, so what