MM is certainly a good target for criticism, but needs no defense: his reactions to the criticism are always quite keen and precise.
While his public image may seem shocking to public eye, he is NOT any of the following (although it has been claimed):
- Satanist or Devil worshipper
- Mentally unbalanced
- Killer of little animals on stage (unlike Ozzy, who bit a head off a pigeon)
I cannot for sure tell if MM has anything against Christianity as a school of thought. If he is as intelligent as he seems (and he does make quite an impression), I doubt he is. But he definitely has a problem with the Christian religious institutes such as church (btw, chuch does not necessarily imply philosophy or even simple faith).
Personal opinion of mine is that his utterances are not to be overvalued, as they, while having value, DO fall short of an elegant philosophy MM seems to seek. Maybe he should spend a little more time with good books, but with his job I understand it can be difficult. I wish he weren't so caught up with the whole anti-christian act. Life is bigger than a fight against one say-but-dont-do religious system.
My guess is, MM would exell in writing. It seems he has much to say and explore, but the expectations of the crowd and limits of the format (namely, music) don't let him.
He seems to find himself in (rather good, may a add) watercolors and unique experiments with musical organic effects on the listener.
His music and imagery appeals mostly to the goth community,
much of it falls into the industrial niche, although most of his work cannot be accurately categorized, as with any truly talented artist.
B: M-m, I thought it was a band...
A: Well, that's true, to an extent. He's a lead singer in the band with the same name.
2. A man who pours his heart into his music, and happens to have opinions other than the mainstream, so he is victimized
3. The most misunderstood person on the face of the earth.
4. The most convenient person for conservatives to blame when something goes wrong
2. Marilyn Manson is smarter than you.
3. People don't like Marilyn Manson because they don't take the time to consider that he, too, is human and has feelings. All they see is his dissent from the socially accepted, which many view as wrong.
4. Right-wing Politician: Marilyn Manson caused Columbine, 9/11, the Holocaust, the Cold War, Laci Peterson's death, and the Trojan War.
Someone Intelligent: No, he didn't.
Right-wing Politician: You are the Antichrist.
Me: "Screw you kid. You obviously don't know what you're talking about."
Random kid: "Yes I do. I judge people by their appearance."
Me: "Thats why I hate you."
2. Whom every pre-teen poseur goth says they like these days to get street cred, unfortunately giving Manson a bad name in some peoples eyes.
2. Omg! marilyn manson is sooo cool. im gonna go buy me sum black clothes!
Me- Marilyn Manson is not shit.
Idiot- But he's a devil worshipper!
Me- No, he is not.
Idiot- I HATE YOU!!!
Me- You fail at life.
Hello! This is it!
Call me crazy, but I don't think about it any further. I don't care if he's 'main-stream' or not, or if he believes in religion or not, or if he likes Avril Lavigne's music. Is it just me who realises you don't have to like an artist/musician/whatever to like what they do?? I'm sure I wouldn't like Marilyn Manson if I met him, and I'm sure there are plenty of things we'd disagree on, but that doesn't efin' matter. I like his music, without making it a religion. So lighten up!