Many like to attribute Jewish success to reasons such as greed and thrift, and many even think Jews get preferential treatment - these accusations are foolish, and those who propagate them are ignorant to say the very least; Jews have faced the utmost degree of persecution for thousands of years, yet continue to disproportionately accomplish great things - not only in number, but also in magnitude. Furthermore, studies have conclusively shown that the average Jewish person has an IQ in the 85th percentile among their non-Jewish caucasian counterparts, and that Jews are six times more likely to have an IQ in the genius range (140 and above) than the average person.
- Almost half of the money contributed to democratic primaries have been from Jewish donors
- 40% of partners at the top NY and DC law firms are Jewish
- Jews constitute 30% of the faculty members at the 15 most elite American colleges
- 23% of the Forbes "500 richest Americans" were Jewish
- Half of all world chess champions have been Jewish
A mind-blowing number of the most prominent figures in history have been Jewish. As this (very short) list illustrates, they have been prominent in all aspects of life:
- Albert Einstein (theoretical physicist)
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg (supreme court justice)
- George Gershwin (music composer)
- Harry Houdini (magician, escape artist)
- Sigmund Freud (philosopher)
- Noam Chomsky (linguist, political activist)
- Steven Spielberg (movie producer)
- Sandy Koufax (baseball pitcher, hall of fame member)
- Joseph Lieberman (U.S. senator, should be vice president right now)
- Moses Horwitz, Samuel Horwitz, Louis Feinberg (the three stooges, pioneers in american comedy and popular culture)
Though no one may have the divine jurisdiction to dub themselves as "the chosen people", the Jews certainly make a good case for themselves.
"The Jews control Hollywood!"
"The Jews caused 9/11!"
"The Jews oppress the Palestinians!"
"The Jews ran over my poodle!"
A Jew is a person who's mother is Jewish. (Some streams of Judaism argue that Jewish patrimony can be acquired through the father as well).
Jews are not a race but an eclectic mix of different races, nationalities, and cultures; they are a truly multi-cultural and multi-ethnic people. However, within this mix, there are distinct ethnic groups such as the Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jews that make up the overwhelming majority of the Jewish People.
Most American Jews are of Ashkenazic origin -- usually originating from Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union. Therefore, American Jews could largely be classified as an ethnic group, hence the characteristic stereotypes, although there are exceptions.
A Jew is not a person who practices Judaism, although most Jews do adhere to some form of Jewish practice or cultural tradition.
A Jew is not an Israeli and an Israeli is not a Jew. An Israeli is a citizen of the state of Israel. While most Israeli's are Jewish, there are also non-Jewish citizens of Israel.
A Jew is not automatically a citizen of the state of Israel. A Jew must apply for and be granted citizenship to the state just like everyone else, although most are awarded citizenship rather easily.
Larry King is not an Israeli citizen.
2) is also a culture/ethnicity, that is to say it has a certain sense of humour, certain type of food and music etc.
3) A person who Mel Gibson talks smack about after he has had too much to drink.