1. The fantasy common among disaffected right-wingers of assaulting people they imagine as the embodiment of treasonous forces afflicting the nation. Rarely if ever put into practice, since in the real world the hippies either went back to real life after 1980 or turned into Silicon Valley libertarians.
2. The practice common among establishment centrists of ritualistically denigrating progressives in order to win over imaginary swing voters and David Brooks. Sometimes misinterpreted as a boneheaded political mistake, it's actually a sign of deep and unselfish commitment to pleasing owners and professionals even at the cost of losing elections.
1. After a pleasant afternoon of drinking antifreeze, Vaughan and Christian decided to go down to the fair-trade market for some hippie punching.
2. After a pleasant afternoon of tongue-kissing insurance lobbyists, David Axelrod decided to go down to the Washington Post for some hippie punching.
1) When you take libtards under the bleachers for a bit of love and cuddles but won’t be seen with them in the light of day. 2) What happens to hippies who cry about not having other people pay for their healthcare via a "public option".
Q: “I’m a blogger, and I don’t know if you know this term, but are you familiar with the term hippie punching?”
A: "Are you a member of the "professional left"? Is this about the healthcare public option?! Bwah hah hah! We sold that one away to big pharma before you even heard about the term "Obamacare", suckaz! See you in November, m'kay?"