This is cuz in hegemonic Western cultures straight people are like so awesome and Kings and Queens of images in media and all things everywhere.
And when gay people go to university they learn all this cool/weird shit about like gender and sex and sexuality and they feel really liberated. But then they have to like still sometimes meet ignorant straight people (not all straight people are ignorant), but because no guarantee can be made that straight/redneck/poor/uneducated will accept or reject them, they develop a general weariness about straight people called "heterophobia"
Ugh my family is so full of straight people. I just hope they don't look at me or ask me questions. Omg I have a serious case of heterophobia now. Talking to straight people is just weird. I feel like they dont understand me.
1. Aversion to heterosexual people or their lifestyle or culture.
2. Is a behavior or an act based on this aversion.
3. Is a strong dislike or aversion to heterosexual people.
4. Is an irrational fear of, aversion to, antipathy towards heterosexuals.
5. Is people who endulge in bigotry or intolerance because of the heterophobia sickness.
2) Also used as a joke. A way for a homosexual/bisexual person to tease straight friends when they're making out.
2) Gay person: Eww! Hetero love!
Straight person: ...heterophobe...
Guy 2: "I know. It's like people completely forget about all the poor straight people evicted from their homes, excluded from the army, denied rights, murdered, assaulted, shunned from their family, etc. for being straight."
At the same time, it has also been used a propaganda slur by homophobes, who level the charge at any gay or lesbian who stands up for their rights. As such, it is a highly contentious term.
1 irrational hatred or fear of heterosexuals 2 to make distinctions in treatment; show partiality or prejudice against traditional heterosexual standards adj.- heterophobic (-fo'bik)