adj. Of or relating to the Goths or their language.
Of or relating to the Middle Ages; medieval.
Of or relating to an architectural style prevalent in western Europe from the 12th through the 15th century and characterized by pointed arches, rib vaulting, and a developing emphasis on verticality and the impression of height.
Of or relating to an architectural style derived from medieval Gothic.
Of or relating to painting, sculpture, or other art forms prevalent in northern Europe from the 12th through the 15th century.
often gothic Of or relating to a style of fiction that emphasizes the grotesque, mysterious, and desolate.
gothic Barbarous; crude.
The extinct East Germanic language of the Goths.
Gothic art or architecture.
often gothic Printing.
A novel in a style emphasizing the grotesque, mysterious, and desolate.
Cathedral of Notre Dame would be an example of GOTHIC architecture
Nathaniel Hawthorne, Bram Stoker, and Edgar A. Poe are examples of popular gothic authors/poets
--there is no "gothic" subculture
(n.) 1. A word generally used in relation the the macabre or other darker elements.
2. A movement in literature that branched off of the individualist movement of the 1700's, usually revolving around the darker elements of human nature.
3. Jagged and spaciouis architecture, usually referenced by gothic cathedrals, in which vast open areas invoke feelings of belittlement.
4. A stereotype encompassing whiny, pissant teenagers craving attention. Usually identified by an immense use of black, vampires, blood, and anarchy symbols.
1. The painting had a very gothic feel to it.
2. Poe was a gothic writer.
3. There was a piece of a gothic chapel on display at the museum.
4. A handful of gothic children mingled outside the Starbucks.
mistaken for a bunch of troubled metal head teenagers who are obsessed with death and suicide. this is totally wrong and is just some stupid steriotype given to them by dumbasses such as townies. goths are normally just normal people who like to dress in their own kind of style, rather than the mundane crap we see everyday. goths are quite confident and are never afraid to laugh at themselves. goths normally have a open mind to alot of things instead of being closed mind twats who wont try anything else but what every1 else is doing
1) more unique than most... but not totally individual as thats impossible
1)Art of the middle-ages. Dark art.
2)Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a style of architecture developed in northern France and spreading through western Europe from the middle of the 12th century to the early 16th century that is characterized by the converging of weights and strains at isolated points upon slender vertical piers and counterbalancing buttresses and by pointed arches and vaulting
3)Referal to the middle-ages.
4)Literature style mostly using dark, remote settings.
5)A genre of music steming from punk rock and became popular in the mid 1980's. Korn, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson and Tool are not gothic bands.
6)The language of the Goths.
Note: people cannot be gothic, gothic is not a state of mind, it is not a life style, it is not clothing.
That 1230 A.D. gothic painting has such dark colours.
That church down town has gothic architecture.
Stephen King writes gothic fiction.
No, damn it, slipknot is not a damn gothic band.
1. a style of architecture used in the middle ages, consisting of pointed towers, massive structures and heavy use of stone carving and gargoyles
2. a style of literature considered both dark and romantic and heavy on the drama (see "wuthering heights") NOTE: not generally horror or supernatural stories.
3. a style of music that grew away from Punk in the late 1970's. it was propulgated by bands such as Bauhaus and Siouxsie and the Banshees, and was known for its guitar melodies, darker themes and danceable beats. along with the music came a certain fashion sence (generally attributed to be begun by Siouxsie Sioux) consisting of very dramatic eye makeup (taken from the ancient egyptians), teased hair and tattered clothing made of lace and velvet.
4. devotees of any of the above.
Europe is home to many Gothic cathedrals.
Alot of people are getting the wrong idea about what being gothic really means.
There are many ways to describe it.
1. It's a type of music. Gothic rock usually contains a dark, yet somehow sweet sound. And, most goths I know (including myself) listen to all types of music. But, also like me prefer to listen to metal.
2. I just have to point this out: Goth is NOT a religion.
Just because you're gothic, it doesn't mean you worship Satan and blah blah blah.
Even though most people involved in gothic culture are not believers of God, I do know Christian goths.
3. There is also a style of dress that comes with gothic lifestyle. Yes, most goths do wear black. (Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of corsets and such...) But we do wear color too. Take cybergoths for examlpe. ^.^ You can catch them wearing the coolest outfits that include many neon colors and such. Different shades of purples, reds, blues, and even greens are popular among goths.
There is much more to be said...but I know some are probably bored at this moment...
Thanks, and enjoy.
There really is no example...
Just go and talk to gothic kid.
You'll see they're not as bad as you think...
Pertaining not to devil-worship, but to a way of thinking before the "Age of Reason" that stressed emotion (as opposed to rationality), preoccupation with mortality (and immortality), and sensuality.
The writings of Edgar Allan Poe, the films of Ken Russell.
I have to admit I've read all the "gothic" entry's and some of them are so out there is is unbelievable! And they are so different from eachother! Who is to say what is "gothic" and what is not? These are some notes I've gained watching "gothic" people and their friends (me).
1. Gothic is a steriotype and it shouldn't be. Some gothic people worship false gods and the devil, but I know some who worship God and are christians. Just like all christians are different so are gothics.
2. Gothic is not a religion. If gothic were a religion they would all be WORSHIPING the same thing! Get a clue!
3. Gothics are nice people. Some people think gothics are weird and mean, but they're not.Yes some are, but aren't some "jocks" mean and "class presidents" Stop steriotyping them to be mean and totally suicidal. They're NOT!
4. Gothics dress in black because that is what they like. Some people dress in all pink, but you don't think those "princesses" are weird. Also black happens to be a very cool color and if you are in love with it good for you.
5. Gothics have a mind and are not simply death orented, bloodthirsty, suicidal, depresed robots! Yes some gothics like death, but so do other people, death is a way to be reborn and freed. Also, some like blood and drink it, but that doesn't make them gothic. I am fasinated with blood, am I gothic?! Also, some are sucidal and depressed, but so are some of our most loved celebertys! Get a grip!
In conclusion gothic is simply what so...