The reason Global Warming is an undesirable thing is primarily because it is melting the polar ice caps and raising sea levels. Contrary to popular belief, HUMANS CANNOT BREATHE UNDER WATER, hence we cannot let temperatures rise enough to melt such an amount of ice that'll end up flooding most of the land that we live on and force us to cram in to even less space than what we live in now. Combine that with exploding population rates (Set to triple from 1950-2050, oh joy.) and you have a recipe for disaster.
Of course, anything that's this logical is obviously denied by people. For example, in the US the majority of the Republican party deny it's existence; not because they actually believe in it not existing, but because its generally a rule of thumb for them to disagree with anything their opposition says.
Another funny example could include Britain, where the government raised car tax to encourage people to cycle, carpool, take the bus, etc. This was done to reduce emissions, primarily because 40% of all car rides were less than two miles long. But, as usual, this was met with huge backlashes because people would rather have future generations live in an obliterated world then pay a bit more money.
the effects of globalization and man. More carbon dioxide is now in
the atmosphere than has been in the past 650,000 years. This carbon
stays in the atmosphere, acts like a warm blanket, and holds in the
heat - hence the name 'global warming.'
The reason we exist on this planet is because the earth naturally
traps just enough heat in the atmosphere to keep the temperature
within a very narrow range - this creates the conditions that give us
breathable air, clean water, and the weather we depend on to survive.
Human beings have begun to tip that balance. We've overloaded the
atmosphere with heat-trapping gasses from our cars and factories and
power plants. If we don't start fixing the problem now, we're in for
devastating changes to our environment. We will experience extreme
temperatures, rises in sea levels, and storms of unimaginable
destructive fury. Recently, alarming events that are consistent with
scientific predictions about the effects of climate change have
become more and more commonplace.
Global warming was not created by Democrats to scare people. It is a proven fact. I'm Republican and I believe that global warming has become a problem. Currently (January 2007), it's 70ºF in my town. Normally, it's about 20ºF around this time of year. It's a probem whether you want to admit it or not. When England becomes flooded, Venice goes underwater, various islands disappear, and Florida burns to a crisp, you'll realize how serious global warming is. Unfortunately, by the time that happens (under 100 years), it will be too late to stop it. So act now and save our planet.
Adult: You can visit undoit.org and sign the petition. Also, write letters to the lawmakers in your town and in Washington, DC. stopglobalwarming.org also has some at home things you can do!
1) Scientific data. You say we're just experiencing the opposite of the ice age, its a natural cycle, scientists have looked at samples from Global Warming periods from the past, and the present is like that, only about 10 times worse.
2) George W. Bush also told us that Iraq had WoMD. we haven't found those yet, have we?
3) We still have ice samples from the last period of Global Warming. People in the future looking back won't have any from now, because the ice is melting to fast.
4) The oceans are rising at a rate we've never seen before, even in the fossil record.
5) Some scientists admitted to having tampered with data showing evidence that Global Warming exists and is a real problem.
6) Give me a better reason why the seasonal temperature changes have been more extreme than any other the earth has faced.
7) The Antarctic Shetland Islands have green grass growing on them, something we can tell from the fossil records hasn't happened since Antarctica settled in its present location.
Person- So why then is the globe warming at a dangerous rate?